UPDATED: Should Dogs and Cats be Spayed and Neutered?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2HBStrat, Apr 20, 2016.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I know that there are a lot of stray cats and wild dogs around and I know that spaying and neutering should be done in many cases, but should it be in every case? Two examples....(1) My ex-GF and I had a puppy and she insisted that we get her fixed, and so we did....I always felt that that dog would have been a good mother and, and this may sound weird, we deprived her of that experience, and also the experience of us having and enjoying puppies (she was an inside the house dog).....this was years ago and I still feel bad about it......(2) Cats show up where I work, and my boss is diligent about getting them fixed. One young male was fixed yesterday. He seems fine and everything but I can't help but feel bad that he will never get to sow any wild oats. Is this a thing or am I being too sensitive.....

2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I have a few thoughts:

1. There is an over abundance of dogs and cats in society, we will never get 100% compliance with a spay and neuter program, but there is no fear that we will run out of new dogs and cats, and if we start getting low, it is easy to ramp up.
    2. Many people are ill equipped to take on an entire litter of pets, so they end up selling or giving away the litter, which is great assuming those animals go to responsible homes, but that is a big assumption. Further still, there are countless pets sitting in shelters that will go adopted as is,
    3. We often find that poor people will feed their pets before they feed their children, sad but it happens. More animals compounds this problem.

I think unless you are actively trying to breed some species for sale (I have thoughts about this as well) or plan on keeping all of the offspring yourself, it is probably best to spay or neuter your pets.

3. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

yes.

cats especially - and any strays or feral cats NEED to be fixed. We do spay/notch/return to any stray cats here. once the ear has been notched (they cut a chunk out), it's easy for animal control or any of the volunteers to identify the cat as already being fixed, and they are left alone.

one breeding pair of cats, left unchecked, can exponentially grow into about 400,000 cats in only a few years time....

4. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

There are far too many pets put down a day to add to that misery. Ironically many of them are turned in due to poor or non-training by their owners.

gght and EricPeterson like this.
  5. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

That's the one thing I learned from The Price Is Right.

6. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

Not to mention the difficulty in caring for/house-training dogs left intact. It's not always a problem, but more often than not intact males have a marking problem and wandering problem.

TheClev likes this.
  7. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Dogs, cats, and most people. :idea

8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

What is equally sad are pets that have to be abandonded by older folks who want them but either can't take care of them any more or can't afford to have them.

gght, seajay and onyxrhino like this.
  9. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

Or the owner dies...

gght likes this.
  10. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

Yes. All our pets are spayed/neutered. Too many strays already. And frankly, a female dog or cat in heat is a nuisance. Even our vet can't stand a dog or cat in heat.

11. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

To be fair, if you're sixty years old, maybe you shouldn't be looking at puppies, perhaps select a mature pet with a shorter life expectancy.

EricPeterson likes this.
  12. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I think dogs and cats are fine when they don't ever get to start families.

we've taken in two outdoor cats... one male, one female... the male came to us a bit beat up and about 1 year old. He was getting in fights with other males.

We got him fixed. He still roams around outside but has never shown the effects of any more fights. He is now 7 years old.

The female arrived around 1 year old also.. took her to the local low cost clinic... she was already pregnant. They spayed her. Now she is super happy and the friendliest cat we've ever been around. She is now 2 years old. She loves hanging out on the roof of the house.

(we put up fliers for both cats when they showed up but no one ever claimed them) We aren't really cat people, but we will feed and care for these two cats for their entire lives, including shots every year.

We have two indoor dogs that want to play with the cats really bad... though I'm pretty sure they would play extremely rough with them if you know what I mean.

Both of our male dogs are rescues and also fixed. No grandpuppies for us.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    EricPeterson likes this.
  13. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

If they are not declawed, cats are very good at establishing play limits with dogs...

gght, seajay, The Funk and 1 other person like this.
  14. The Funk

The Funk Member

Most should. Good, healthy specimens can be bred, because the species should continue. But dogs are not really cut out for "nature" in any way. Their biological instincts are at odds with their living arrangements much of the time. An unfixed male can be incredibly aggressive towards other mail dogs. If you don't get your dog fixed, then you have to be responsible for allowing the dog to mate to take care of that need at least twice a year. If you do that, your dog will be pretty normal, but if not, then it can be very rough.

EricPeterson likes this.
  15. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

That is true but I prefer not to find out how it might go.

seajay likes this.
  16. The Funk

The Funk Member

I'd add that dogs are usually pretty quick to pick up on a dominant spirit in another animal. A small cat can absolutely dominate a large dog. My childhood cat, who was a spayed female, was quite successful at defending our yard from intruding dogs. Raccoons as well.

There are lots of youtube videos where terrified dogs are blocked by smug cats. Also many videos where cats have stolen the dogs beds.

seajay likes this.
  17. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

There's a pack of about 4-5 semi-feral cats that live one house over from me. They mostly stick to that one house, and they don't bother me at all. The lady at that house puts out food for them. I'm just hoping they're spayed/neutered! 4-5 cats is fine... they're mellow and quiet... but we don't need 20 cats running around down the road.

18. Sarutobi sasuke

Sarutobi sasuke Member

i think it's important to spay and neuter. all one need do is look at the mess caused by tsunayoshi to see that it can cause huge problems

19. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

My wife helped found a Spay/Neuter program in our area for ferals and domestics some years back.
    I cant think of a better cause to support.

S.
    j

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Roark, Chris Scott and seajay like this.
  20. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Not most people, but many of them.

A lot of the time, it is the very ones who don't get fixed, who should've most definitely. We're getting an intense Reverse Darwin effect right now. Octomom, anyone?

We're so terrified of the unspeakable crimes of Germany in the first half of the 1940s, that we've violently swung 180 degrees and now (out of guilt or something) we feel obligated to encourage the worst breeders to go right ahead and have more than their share (and society will pick up the slack). Eugenics has such a vile smell about it that we assume everything and anything ever said or done remotely related is intrinsically wrong and should be offset with enthusiasm. Meaning, if a few Embeciles is good then many more is better.

The kind of man or woman with a full understanding of the human species and its rapidly expanding role on Planet Earth is often terrified of adding to our numbers, and so he or she goes often to extreme lengths to not have children at all. Or he or she spend huge amounts of time and pains to educate and discipline and love their children to the exclusion of many other pursuits. Then there are those who could care less. 12 children by 7 different partners? None go to college and half go to prison and none ever make enough money to pay meaningful amounts of taxes? Sure, no problem - let the "careless" breed out of control while those who understand the gravity either 1) have no kids or 2) devote huge amounts of the rest of their lives making sure their kids give more to society than they take. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to predict a devolution of the human race.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Tone_Terrific likes this.