Updated Strymon pedals, not just the Deco

jonthomas83

Should I sell my deco and el cap in advance? Also my volante… I thought it would pretty much cover the El Cap and the Dig but I don’t think it ever will.

But midi? I have to unload these guys quick, right?
They're not gonna suddenly sound bad with the introduction of V2. But it's whether you value the upgrades offered in the v2 pedals? I know I do.

And yes, imo, you're correct that the Volante won't cover dig and El Cap. Again, IMO, way off.

Sundown

They're not gonna suddenly sound bad with the introduction of V2. But it's whether you value the upgrades offered in the v2 pedals? I know I do.

And yes, imo, you're correct that the Volante won't cover dig and El Cap. Again, IMO, way off.
Idk. I only really leaned into a couple of settings on the DIG, so I thought maybe the volante’s studio could get somewhere in the ball park. Nope.

I’m just not in love with the volante. I got it mostly for the panning and presets and some of the other neat features. I was going to sell my beloved el cap. Glad I didn’t. Just can’t get the same oscillation/mix feel. Pair that with the cap sounding more lush and warm. Maybe I’m just too much of a simpleton to get it.

But yeah, the biggest thing has been wanting to get presets. That alone is worth the cost of entry to me. Hopefully they don’t screw around with the dsp/algos.

HanFastolfe

That was my take on the Volante - great features, but it sounds how it sounds. I took a hard look at that while thinking of replacing my Nemesis with something that had a lot of control over a core sound.
I didn't think the core sound of the Volante was a good fit. I mostly use resonant analog, tape and noise tape. Weird stuff is now the domain of Red Panda. El Cap becomes one I'll look at, where the lack of MIDI kept it off my radar before.

Liarparadox

I'd jump all over a Flint with MIDI. Hope this comes to fruition.
Oh it def will. No question Strymon will at some point update these pedals with these features (and who knows, maybe more). The question is, when? And I hope they say something soon. I'm literally holding off on Strymon pedals because of this. I was all set to buy one until I saw this. And I was thinking about a second one later on in the month. But no way am I taking any risk until they give us some info.

And really, for all we know the one video was just one of many. Maybe they are adding features to the big pedals as well. Maybe the drive pedals. Maybe that was an old and outdated video and there are other features they are adding. Regardless, it'd be really nice if Strymon would give some kind of info on this.

ry-guy

My guess is Strymon probably has a number of inventory they still need to sell off before they release these. Plus what do all the distributors do with the V1 when these drop? But i want Timeline 2

Buck Woodson

I don't think Strymon will undercut the value of their existing pedals because they never have before. I'll be surprised if these v2s will be less than an extra hundred bucks.

My guess is Strymon probably has a number of inventory they still need to sell off before they release these. Plus what do all the distributors do with the V1 when these drop? But i want Timeline 2

They might have to bump up their (heh) timeline a little. I’m starting to see the video leak info trickle out beyond TGP now, and it won’t be long before everyone stops buying the v1 pedals in anticipation of what’s to come.

earwax

I feel like I'm on repeat here but...
None of the modes from the El Cap are included in the Timeline. And the Brigadier and dBucket algo on the timeline are identical, as confirmed by Strymon themselves.

As for whether the different hardware included in each unit can alter the sound of that algorithm, is another matter.

Reyybarra

Silver Supporting Member
Guys, I love my deco, and volante… but the midi issues I’ve had with volante just spook me in thinking it’s the same crap Freon strymon. It’s crazy the bad design that comes out of their midi efforts.

tomtetom

I've had a really good experience with the Sunset and Riverside as MIDI controlled pedals.

I hope this is real as I'd love a MIDI Deco and El Cap; am proper hanging out to see of this all comes true.

Got to build that Blues Lawyer board!

LaXu

How does MIDI presets work with the Sunset? How do you know which presets you’re in?
Thats up to your MIDI controller as there is no indication for which preset is in use, just that preset mode is active.

For example on my XSonic Airstep I have set 4 presets for 4 switches. Press a switch and it stays lit indicating the preset. Controllers with displays are more convenient for this of course.

HanFastolfe

No MIDI issues with Iridium - only have a couple presets, for a couple songs I use Morningstar to modulate the Volume Pedal CC so I can have tremolo w/o taking board space. Bump the output vol a bit to make up for the perceived volume drop, then reset all the values to normal when I click it off. Works great.

Lots of neat things wiggling Deco knobs via MIDI - saturation tremolo, wiggle the wobble for even more unsteady modulation, one-time, or slow full-range sweeps of the lag time knob.

ChadMiles

Hey all, brand new here, and brand new to this brave new world of pedals. Seriously, I haven't bought a pedal since like 1996 and I only owned a wah and a chorus.

After buying and returning a couple then watching hours of demos I've settled on a few, including the Flint and the Deco (also seriously considering the Volante). Until I read this thread I had no idea why pedals had MIDI ports. Are they only for presets (not that this wouldn't be enough) or are they useful for anything else? And with a decent MIDI controller stompbox is it pretty easy to switch between presets live? Sorry for the dumb questions.

My Deco just arrived today and I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Flint and I'm trying decide whether I should return the Deco and hold off on the Flint. Decisions, decisions.

Catch

Analog>Digital Converter
Platinum Supporting Member
Hey all, brand new here, and brand new to this brave new world of pedals. Seriously, I haven't bought a pedal since like 1996 and I only owned a wah and a chorus.

After buying and returning a couple then watching hours of demos I've settled on a few, including the Flint and the Deco (also seriously considering the Volante). Until I read this thread I had no idea why pedals had MIDI ports. Are they only for presets (not that this wouldn't be enough) or are they useful for anything else? And with a decent MIDI controller stompbox is it pretty easy to switch between presets live? Sorry for the dumb questions.

My Deco just arrived today and I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Flint and I'm trying decide whether I should return the Deco and hold off on the Flint. Decisions, decisions.
A MIDI controller from, say, Morningstar will be very easy to program and use. Some pedals will use MIDI to access presets while others have parameters that can be controlled in real time—it depends on the pedal. I suggest you get the Volante. It is amazing. I’ve used the Deco since it was released—it’s a great pedal without (or maybe with?) MIDI and is very interactive. Set a loop going with say a Timeline or even the Volante and then manipulate it with the Deco…

One thing I think is interesting are the pedals that aren't shown as having updates. Some of them are because they are newer and already have midi, but the 3 older ones that haven't been shown, Ola, Orbit and Brigadier are all their dBucket pedals.

It's got me interested in what the future is for the dBucket stuff...

...I have an Orbit and love the sounds and options, but am a bit frustrated with how it cuts high end and think something BBD-modeling more in the vein of the Deco/Zelzah could be pretty cool.
The Brigadier sounds great and holds it's own against the true BBD delays I've tried. The tone knob and bucket loss work great with one another.

If I was talking hypothetical Strymons I would love to see a Deco-style take on the dBucket engine. Maybe with an JFET preamp. You could shorten the clock times to access doubling/flange/chorus before going up into the Brigadier's delay sounds. This is basically what the right hand side of the Zelzah does already however so there's no chance of this happening.

Still, I agree with you that it will be interesting to see what happens to the standalone dBucket pedals.

Buck Woodson

I use a midi control pedal with my Nord Stage 3 compact keyboard for all kinds of things like all Leslie speeds from stopped to fast and everything in between for both organ and electric piano, dynamically changing the size of the room for reverb with grand piano, opening a filter on a synth, changing vibrato volume and speed.

Presumably you could do similar continuous and/or dynamic things with a midi enabled effects pedal and a guitar. You'll probably also need a midi control pedal to feed the effects pedal and who knows if Strymon will take it's midi implementation that far; it'd be a shame if they didn't.

LaXu

MIDI gives you more control options. More presets, adjusting each knob remotely etc. What you do with it is up to you, including just ignoring the option exists. MIDI also helps that you don’t need a loop switcher because you can toggle multiple pedals with program changes.

I recently sold the Flint and while it’s a nice and simple pedal, MIDI would have made me keep it as I could have set up a preset for each of the reverb options for example. Without it you need a favorite switch for 1 preset which is a bit limited as all the options have great sounds.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom