Updated Strymon pedals, not just the Deco

GreatGreen

what I’m hoping for almost definitely won’t happen but a guy can dream…

Flint: Add MIDI, and add a mono mode with the ability to route Trem to Left In/Out and Reverb to Right In/Out so you can route the Trem to the amp’s input and the Reverb to the loop.

DIG: Along with adding MIDI, just make the Tone control affect the first repeat along with the rest of them so you can darken all the echoes. That’s it. That’s pretty much all the DIG needs to be basically the perfect delay imo.

If they update the big box pedals:

Mobius: the only effect in it that really, truly needs an overhaul is the Phaser. Its sweep range, meaning how far it travels back and fourth along the frequency spectrum, is too narrow. Its sweep doesn’t extend nearly far enough into the low frequencies and that’s why it sounds so unconvincing. Just about everything else about the pedal is fine.

Last edited:
The Brigadier sounds great and holds it's own against the true BBD delays I've tried. The tone knob and bucket loss work great with one another.

If I was talking hypothetical Strymons I would love to see a Deco-style take on the dBucket engine. Maybe with an JFET preamp. You could shorten the clock times to access doubling/flange/chorus before going up into the Brigadier's delay sounds. This is basically what the right hand side of the Zelzah does already however so there's no chance of this happening.

Still, I agree with you that it will be interesting to see what happens to the standalone dBucket pedals.

I definitely have thought about the same idea myself, just give us the BBD and give us max flexibility on how to use it (sort of like how the Eventide Rose works), maybe even do a double sided pedal each with different options and/or something in BBD based rack unit territory.

tomtetom

Other requests:

Strymon, please come forward with your do-it-all FUZZ.

takemymoney.jpg

Reyybarra

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all, brand new here, and brand new to this brave new world of pedals. Seriously, I haven't bought a pedal since like 1996 and I only owned a wah and a chorus.

After buying and returning a couple then watching hours of demos I've settled on a few, including the Flint and the Deco (also seriously considering the Volante). Until I read this thread I had no idea why pedals had MIDI ports. Are they only for presets (not that this wouldn't be enough) or are they useful for anything else? And with a decent MIDI controller stompbox is it pretty easy to switch between presets live? Sorry for the dumb questions.

My Deco just arrived today and I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Flint and I'm trying decide whether I should return the Deco and hold off on the Flint. Decisions, decisions.
Just fair warning, midi with volante can be a nightmare of epic proportions. It’s moody, even with rjm, temp isn’t exact, and it doesn’t like the way rjm sends tempo. In addition, you have to program it a certain way to receive clock, or else it will default to programmed tempo. Love the sound, just a bit of a mess I’ve been dealing with for a couple years. As far as midi with deco… never going to work, it’s not how they designed it. Hopefully with v2 the midi will be fixed.

HanFastolfe

Why would MIDI clock be desirable on the Deco? It's operating at such short delay times, the LFO isn't steady, no one can hear if your slapback is two perfect 32nd division repeats. It does do longer delays I guess, but that' seems pretty niche.

What would be nice is an editor - something where you can get your perfect knobs set and then READ the values from the pedal. I had to adjust a bunch of gain staging with Iridium so I could set a baseline output level via Midi CC - eg, "If I program a boost via CC, what value do I return to". Recalling presets has a volume dip. Should've been easy but ended up just being trial and error by ear.

BroomH

Why would MIDI clock be desirable on the Deco? It's operating at such short delay times, the LFO isn't steady, no one can hear if your slapback is two perfect 32nd division repeats. It does do longer delays I guess, but that' seems pretty niche.

What would be nice is an editor - something where you can get your perfect knobs set and then READ the values from the pedal. I had to adjust a bunch of gain staging with Iridium so I could set a baseline output level via Midi CC - eg, "If I program a boost via CC, what value do I return to". Recalling presets has a volume dip. Should've been easy but ended up just being trial and error by ear.

It would be nice to recall different settings.

darkphader

Silver Supporting Member
Just fair warning, midi with volante can be a nightmare of epic proportions. It’s moody, even with rjm, temp isn’t exact, and it doesn’t like the way rjm sends tempo. In addition, you have to program it a certain way to receive clock, or else it will default to programmed tempo. Love the sound, just a bit of a mess I’ve been dealing with for a couple years. As far as midi with deco… never going to work, it’s not how they designed it. Hopefully with v2 the midi will be fixed.
I'm having no issues at all with MIDI on the Volante, using a Boss ES-8. Maybe I'm not using it in a fashion that highlights these issues.
Can you be more specific about exactly what the problems are? If they can be duplicated Strymon can most likely fis them with a firmaware upgrade.

Reyybarra

Silver Supporting Member
I'm having no issues at all with MIDI on the Volante, using a Boss ES-8. Maybe I'm not using it in a fashion that highlights these issues.
Can you be more specific about exactly what the problems are? If they can be duplicated Strymon can most likely fis them with a firmaware upgrade.
Complete honesty, I’ve had multiple conversations with strymon…
There are pages of issues on rjm forum. Strymon has also not upgraded volante since 2019. Have you ever tried to trigger tempo with multiple devices? That’s one of the biggest issues, according to them, it wasn’t intended to be used like that so they won’t “fix it”

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Complete honesty, I’ve had multiple conversations with strymon…
There are pages of issues on rjm forum. Strymon has also not upgraded volante since 2019. Have you ever tried to trigger tempo with multiple devices? That’s one of the biggest issues, according to them, it wasn’t intended to be used like that so they won’t “fix it”

Wait, it doesn’t take midi clock?

darkphader

Silver Supporting Member
It does, but, each time you save a preset, you have to:
1. Hold down tape heads 1 & 4
2. Twist input level until it blinks
3. Make sure volante is reading midi clock.
4. Make preset
5. Save preset to midi device

Each time you make a preset this is the sequence.
MIDI Clock can be set per preset but not necessary if you can send CC messages as it can also be easily turned on or off via CC #63 (0 for off, 1-127 for on) regardless of the preset.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
It does, but, each time you save a preset, you have to:
1. Hold down tape heads 1 & 4
2. Twist input level until it blinks
3. Make sure volante is reading midi clock.
4. Make preset
5. Save preset to midi device

Each time you make a preset this is the sequence.

gotcha, that is slightly annoying, but id imagine i would only use an elcap or volante for 4-8 presets so totally doable if you're organized and intentional.

Reyybarra

Silver Supporting Member
Also, keep in mind I’m using quartz as a midi clock to sent to multiple units, so this is what it takes to work with quartz

Trending Topics

Top Bottom