UPDATED: When a gig (apparently) goes bad and you don't know why.....

2HBStrat

We recently played a festival. We were basically the Saturday night headliner for the second year. We killed it last year, and everyone told us so, which is why we were back this year. I thought we sounded great this year....there were a few mistakes, actually from each of us, but no outright blunders, but.....NOBODY, except the sound man, complimented us, or me, at least. He even said that some people came up to him at the sound board and wanted to know how to get in touch with us about booking us. Some of the band went out afterwards and they said that they got good comments from folks, but I haven't. I've kinda fished around a little from some friends about how we did, without just outright asking, but......nothing! Maybe everyone sounded good but me! I'm not looking for problems, believe me, but my instincts in these things are usually pretty good. I can't help but think that something wasn't right, somehow, but I have no idea what it was.

I'm confused right now, I guess...

Last edited:

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
Sometimes people a just there and out juice. Maybe they were talking to friends. Don't trip on it. I've played for people who told me they LOVED the band but during the set were too busy chatting with friends to even clap between songs.

Telebluze

We recently played a festival. We were basically the Saturday night headliner for the second year. We killed it last year, and everyone told us so, which is why we were back this year. I thought we sounded great this year....there were a few mistakes, actually from each of us, but no outright blunders, but.....NOBODY, except the sound man, complimented us, or me, at least. He even said that some people came up to him at the sound board and wanted to know how to get in touch with us about booking us. Some of the band went out afterwards and they said that they got good comments from folks, but I haven't. I've kinda fished around a little from some friends about how we did, without just outright asking, but......nothing! Maybe everyone sounded good but me! I'm not looking for problems, believe me, but my instincts in these things are usually pretty good. I can't help but think that something wasn't right, somehow, but I have no idea what it was.

I'm confused right now, I guess...
:facepalm

hank57

They did clap?

Well I think you may have elevated to the status of demi-god. That is when it's hard to talk to someone because they are pretty f***ing awesome and don't know what you could say to that awesome dude.

Also did you have any off color banter from the stage and insult anyone?

Did you have spittle smeared on your chin?

Don't worry the band as a whole was really liked.

BrokenRomeo

Silver Supporting Member
Ah, the peaks and valleys of being a musician...in my experience, I would say that live shows are an organic experience for all involved, and therefore, some just go off better than others, even if the reasons may be intangible. Best advice I could give would be to move on and don't dwell on it...or if you are the sensitive type, marry an Italian girl...mine cured me of my thin skin!! :)

Pat Healy

I've kinda fished around a little from some friends about how we did, without just outright asking, but......nothing!
Then ask. Nothing wrong with seeking out some feedback if it's bugging you. Sounds to me like it was a reasonably good gig with a not-very-engaged audience. Fairly typical.

I had a gig that was the polar opposite of this - went GREAT, and then we were fired. It was a "concert in the park" series, kind of an upscale HOA that booked us to play in the neighborhood. They typically booked really light 70's rock and alt rock bands, so our Van Halen / Alice In Chains / Pearl Jam set was a bit of a shocker. Anyway, the crowd was dancing, people loved the heavier music, universal positive feedback after the gig, etc.

A week later we heard from the HOA that we would not be asked back. Why not? "The police were called, there was a fistfight, there was public urination..." We caused Altamont in a $700K neigborhood. Brought out the inner hoodlum in all the white collar types. Awesome.

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
Is there video/audio of the show?
If so, check it out and see if there's a reason to be concerned w/ the performance.

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
Welcome to the typical life cycle of a band. Sort of like being the old, dependable spouse - people take it for granted that you're good so they don't bother to or feel compelled to say anything or act excited.

paranoid70

If the audience is engaged, that means you are doing the right thing. If people are sticking around to listen to you, applauding, not staring at their phone the whole time and even up and dancing then that's your compliment. If people are leaving... that's your negative feedback.

paranoid70

A week later we heard from the HOA that we would not be asked back. Why not? "The police were called, there was a fistfight, there was public urination..." We caused Altamont in a $700K neigborhood. Brought out the inner hoodlum in all the white collar types. Awesome.
Nice!

Nurk2

"Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod
Welcome to the typical life cycle of a band. Sort of like being the old, dependable spouse - people take it for granted that you're good so they don't bother to or feel compelled to say anything or act excited.
:aok

This was my first thought. I think everyone assumes that solid acts that have been around awhile know that they're solid acts.

mark norwine

After all gigs:

When you think you're amazing, remember: You're never as good as you think you are.

When you think you suck, remember: You're never as bad as you think you are.

chrisr777

"The police were called, there was a fistfight, there was public urination..." We caused Altamont in a $700K neigborhood. Brought out the inner hoodlum in all the white collar types. Awesome.
This is what I would call a really good night.

dougb415

It seems to me like you're trying to find something wrong.
1. Had great applause? CHECK
2. An engaged audience? CHECK
3. People asking how they can book your band? CHECK

Then WTF are you worried about?

DøøG

After all gigs:

When you think you're amazing, remember: You're never as good as you think you are.

When you think you suck, remember: You're never as bad as you think you are.
Recording the gig is a good reality check, nobody does this?

Trending Topics