UPDATED: When a Rehearsal becomes an Audition!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, May 1, 2015.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I just found out that at our next rehearsal, which we NEED to get ready for our first gig in about 6 months, the manager of a soon-to-be re-opened "under new management" club is coming to hear us. He can't make it to our show next week. I don't like people at practice, anyway, and imo we don't need the stress of it being an audition, either....Bummer....

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  2. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

That seems odd unless he is friends with someone in the band..... and if that is the case he probably wouldn't audition you at all. :confused:

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

1. I wouldn't sweat it - if you are good then just play your best material, should actually be a cool challenge.
    2. I have to believe it WILL be a little awkward for the person listening... I mean, what's he going to do golf clap at the end of the performance of each song? Take notes?
    3. Who in your band keeps inviting these people lol???
    4. Honestly I'd buy a case of beer and turn it into a hang, loosen things up.
    5. Better be one hell of a club and a good gig!

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

That bar owner looks to me to be seriously interested in hiring you to go out of his way to come to you at your place just to hear you. Some of us wish we had more such problems in our lives! Invite him by the last half hour of your practice, use the prior time to tighten up the songs you do best, and enjoy the ride is my perspective.

5. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

Yeah, when he walks in hand him a beer and list of your best songs. Ask him which ones he wants to hear.

6. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

It's likely the guy cancels anyways.

7. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Ha....Good One! More likely the possible new member will also decide to show up and audition us at the same time.....:horse

8. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

Agree.

9. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

I agree. Think of it this way: you've got home court advantage!

10. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

If he understands the situation, he will understand that he is observing a rehearsal and apply appropriate context so that you can essential ignore his attendance.
    If you are uneasy with an audience at rehearsal, well... :dunno

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Well, that's a good point. It's going to happen so I have to accept it and do my best.

Well, to me rehearsals have always been about rehearsing, not performing. We start and stop songs a lot, stop to work on vocals and other parts.....stuff you don't want to do when someone is auditioning you. So tonight won't be a rehearsal, which, like I said, we need, but will be, at least while he is there, a performance.

12. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

why don't you rehearse before your "rehearsal"?

13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Good point. I don't know what the band leader told him. If he had been thinking he would have told the guy to come by at 8......we start at 6:30......

14. Ogre

Ogre Member

Keep alcohol out of the equation. Warm up before you go. Show the guy you mean business. Stay loose and stroke it.

15. monty

monty Member

I like it.

16. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Its nice to have bar manager go out of his way to check out a band he wants to hire. If you are a gigging band, he should be able to call out songs at random from your setlist that you can nail with no hesitation.

17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Well, that's true. We ARE a gigging band, but we have had some down time with no gigs, and we have been working on new material, and not keeping fresh on the older stuff. Like I said, we need, I needed, this rehearsal to get up to speed for what will be our first gig of the year, with quite a few others booked. When we're gigging we're on our game and tight, but right now we've just had too much time off.....we'll get there, though....I'm not really worried or anything....

18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

UPDATE: It went okay. The guy had wanted a promo pack, which we don't have, so the band leader just told him to come over. That's why it happened in the first place. He told him to get there at 7:30 so we had about an hour to get ready for him, and he was late too, with his wife and two kids:jo. Anyway, we played "Uptown Funk", "Santeria", "Billie Jean", and "If You Don't know me by Now" and maybe one more song that I can't remember right now. He seemed impressed and said we sounded great (his wife said we sounded great, too) and asked if we knew any Creedence, and wants our open dates.

19. Turi

Turi Member

Sweet, sounds like you guys drilled it.
    Nice.

20. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Nice report.

Looking back, if the band leader had set up the meet and not communicated, maybe the exact same result would have happened.