Upgrade a 1974 Les Paul Deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JacksonAmpworks, Feb 12, 2012.

1. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

Just got a '74 LP Goldtop off eBay. The LP already has Tone Pros tuners so I wanted to check with those more experienced than me if it will do me any good to update the bridge and tailpiece. The bridge as is has brass saddles.

I was thinking about getting the lightweight Tone Pros set.

Thoughts?

2. MG90

MG90 Member

Is not the whole point of paying too much for an old guitar keeping it as original as possible? The old bridge should give it mojo. If I where you I would change back any mods with vintage parts.

3. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

"Thoughts"

I think you'd get a better response if you'd post this in the correct forum. Most folks in here want to discuss "effects pedals". That said, I agree with MG90. I have a '72 SG Std. I'd personally cut the hands off the first SOB that came near it with "mod" intentions. YMMV

4. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

Sorry I thought this would be the right place, you know Effects, Pedals, Strings and THINGS. I thought this would classify as a "Things." :)

Well I thought the older style hardware was better, you know before they went cheap on things. BTW - I'm not a collector. I'm a player. I like to buy good beater guitars that have already been modded so I can do what I want to them without feeling bad. I got the guitar for $1750 so I'm not worried about modding and hopefully bettering it.

5. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Here's the deal; Guitars in original condition are worth more to the collector. Granted...it's a Norlin Era guitar...but still! Mod's can be fine, as long as they are reversible. So, Tone Pro's, Tuners, Bridges, Pups....can all be fine (as long as you don't go around drilling new holes or bigger holes). Keep in mind that new solder marks can devalue the instrument, so Pickup replacement, pot replacement can be tricky. Bottom line: Set it up how you like, and keep the extra parts....have fun!

6. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

Will do. I'm mainly concerned about the bridge and tailpiece which can be replaced without devaluing it. What is the consensus on upgrading the bridge?

7. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

play it first for a few weeks before you even think of modding it. Decide on the guitars + or - first. I have a 74 standard and the only mode are new pot because the old ones wore out and new frets they wore out too. biggest tone improvement was the refret by a top notch repairman.

8. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

That's really good advice. :)

9. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

had it for 15 years before I ever did a thing to it besides aset up.

10. erksin

erksin Member

I upgraded the old tailpiece on mine to the RS lightweight aluminum with Tone Pros locking studs and also replaced the old bridge for the Tone Pros as well - if nothing else the guitar lost some weight as those old zinc pieces weighted a ton.

I like the difference - I feel like the guitar has a bit more sustain and it rings clearer. And it's great during string changes that the stoptail stays put.

I thought it was a worthy thing to do. I kept the old parts if I ever flip it, but the new guy would be stupid to put them back on IMO.

11. erksin

erksin Member

This is basically what I did - I played on the guitar for a good 6 months or so before I changed the parts out (and got it a refret which it sorely needed).

I'm a player too - I don't collect stuff, I use it. It seems to me that you do what you feel needs to be done so that you can enjoy the thing to it's potential.

12. Less=more

Less=more Member

Brad, I put the Callaham ABR-1 Bridge on my 82 Es335 I do not regret it. Its is a solid piece of work. My original Gibson bridge had a tiny bit of a bow in it as they are made of weaker metal than the Callaham ones. You can also order the bridge slightly aged, I did this for mine and it matches the rest of the original hardware quite well.

also: one day I will order my dream amp from you.

13. HayekFan

HayekFan Member

Depends on what you're wanting. If you're thinking of a new bridge as a tonal upgrade then you'll probably be disappointed. If it's to improve its adjustability or something, it might be a good idea. If it's a cosmetic thing it might also be a good idea. For instance I think a nickel ABR1 and matching tailpiece on a Les Paul looks better than a chrome Nashville type. On the other hand, the chrome Nashville on a '74 model is part of what gives it its seventies vibe.

14. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

Honestly I just want the guitar to be all it can be. I'm told the 70's hardware was crap and the 50's style hardware was great. If the new hardware will make it sound 5% better I'll do that. You know the drill. Anything to avoid practicing. ;)

15. mlweidl

mlweidl Member

I saw the pic of that thing and it's amazing, I love old goldtops

If you sell it let me know

16. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

Will do! I hope not to though. :)

17. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

2nd the recommendation for alum tailpiece and maybe a new bridge too. Just put the old parts in a bag in the case.

18. dmczern

dmczern Member

:worthless

You had to have seen this coming ;-)

19. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

20. erksin

erksin Member

Holy balls is that awesome.