Upgrade Cubase or buy a DAW?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by papaoj, Dec 26, 2004.

1. papaoj

papaoj Member

I have an old version of Cubase (v3.7) that is eligible to upgrade to SX 3.0 only until the end of the year. The cost would be $399. My recording setup includes a Delta 1010 and a Event EZ-Bus mixer.

My recording setup has been gathering dust because for me it's a pain to record. My music equipment is in my basement while my PC is upstairs in one of the bedrooms.

I feel like I should upgrade Cubase since I invested the money, but part of me thinks I should not upgrade, sell off the Delta 1010 and Event mixer and buy a Roland VS series DAW? Any opinions?

Thanks,
    O

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

What is your computer system comprised of?

3. papaoj

papaoj Member

I have a Dell, 3GHz, 500MB of RAM, plenty of hard drive space. I also, have a pieces parts 800MHz PIII that was my original recording computer.

Thanks,
    O

4. therealting

therealting Member

What did you decide to do?

5. papaoj

papaoj Member

I went ahead a bought the upgrade. I couldn't let my intial investment in Cubase go to waste. I figured if do decide to go the DAW route I could always sell Cubase SX.

One good thing is that it's getting me back interested in recording again.

O

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I prefer SX over VST so much I cannot express it in written word.

7. MickYoumans

MickYoumans Member

I saw where you went ahead and upgraded your software. That was probably your best move since you already have an EZBus. I think the EZBus is a great little DAW for what it costs. I am using Cakewalk Sonar instead of Cubase so I don't know how well it interfaces with Cubase, but it works well with Sonar. If you do consider upgrading your DAW in the future, I would suggest checking out the Tascam 1884. My drummer has one and I love it. Since it has a firewire connection you can record up to eight channels at a time, unlike the EZBus where you can only pass two channels into your computer at a time. Other than the two channel limitation of the EZBus, it will do quite a bit if you take the time to learn how to interface it with your software. You can definately do some serious recording with it and achieve quality results. Good luck with your new software. :)

8. therealting

therealting Member

The FW1884 is what I use with Cubase SL.

9. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Member

Same here...Cubase SL with the 1884. That said, what is the diference SL and SX, and would it be worthwhile to upgrade to SX for me? It would allow me to sell the Cubase System 4 package...I'm having to keep the MI4 interface from the System 4 package plugged into my computer as the dongle.

10. papaoj

papaoj Member

Thanks, guys, you made me feel better about upgrading. Now can you explain it to my wife in language she understands! :D

Mick - I was only using the EZbus as a mixer with my Delta 1010 and haven't used it beyond that. I bought it when it was brand new and seemed to remember having problems with the driver. I'll look into using again based on your comments.

O

11. Prymo

Prymo Guest

can you record 8 tracks simotaniously with the FW1884?

12. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Member

Yes. The 1884 has 8 XLR inputs, 8 1/4 inch inputs and 8 MIDI inputs. You can run any combination of the above up to recording 8 simultaneous tracks. The 1884 is a great piece of equipment. :D

BTW...I upgraded to Cubase SX3 and love it!