Upgrade from Alto TS 110a to Yamaha DXR10?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by UnderTheGroove, May 2, 2016.

1. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I've read great reviews on the Yamaha DXR10s. Has anyone done a comparison with these and the Altos? I'm wondering if it would be a significant upgrade in sound?

I'm currently using the Alto 110s with my Helix. My band recently got some of the Alto 212s for our P.A. mains to use on the rare gigs where we need to supply our own sound. I feel like the Helix sounds slightly better through the 212s, so now I'm thinking about upgrading my personal speakers. It would also allow me to dedicate the 110s for vocal monitor use for the entire band.

2. flyingheelhook

flyingheelhook Member

I think this falls under the 'your mileage may vary' category. In doing my research, most folks agree the DXRs are good, but 'significant' is in the ears of the listener IMHO.

dray3573 and mojah like this.
  3. boo radley

boo radley Supporting Member

I have. I'm not an FRFR speaker expert, but I initially bought an Alto TS-110 a couple years ago, online, on recommendations (also online) that it was an 'unbelievable deal', etc. Sold it when I sold my Line6 HD-500...then ended up buying another, and sold that too. Last fall, I wanted another FRFR, so I did what I should have done in the first place: go to a place (Sam Ash, in my case) that carried a selection of speakers, and *listened* to them. Ended up liking the Yamaha the best, followed by the more expensive QSC-10, with EV and JBL offerings in a distant 3rd and 4th and I had no doubt whatsoever that all of these were better than the Alto.

Since you still have your Altos bring 'em into a retailer and do an A/B test, for yourself?

mojah likes this.
  4. DunedinDragon

DunedinDragon Member

I ended up with a DXR12 when I did my comparisons of the different speakers including the Alto. I have to admit I was impressed with the Alto for the price, but in the end I didn't feel it had the headroom (power), fullness and clarity of the Yamaha. The QSC was pretty equal in my opinion, but availability was the problem and Yamaha was running a rebate at the time on the DXR line so I took advantage of it to get $100 off.

The disadvantage of the DXR is it's so full range that you will probably end up using lo-cut and hi-cut filters to mediate the range response at the upper and lower ends in some of your patches. The advantage for me is the response of the DXR is pretty much dead-on with the QSC KLA12's we use on our PA, so whatever I'm hearing in my monitor is precisely what the audience is hearing through the PA. Just make sure you have the "monitor" selection set if you're using it as a floor monitor because it will build up bass otherwise. Generally speaking the DXR sounds very close to the sound of my studio monitors which are Yamaha HS7's...just with more projection.

5. partytrain

partytrain Member

I gig with the 110A (Ax8 or Amplifire), and my band does have 2 DXR10's that we use for vocal monitors. I've had a few opportunities to use the DXR's on certain gigs. Tone wise, I can't honestly say I've heard much of a difference. Maybe a tiny bit more high end on the DXR, but honestly that could've just been a result of the rooms I've used them in. I will say that there appears to me to be a huge difference volume wise between the two, the DXR having a considerable amount more. DXR is also smaller, which is nice. However, those differences haven't been enough to make an upgrade worth it for me.

6. UnderTheGroove

Thanks for all of the responses. No stores in the area seem to have the DXRs in stock, so I haven't had a chance to try them for myself. Not sure if I want to spend the extra money on a leap of faith, but there are so many good reviews I might just go for it.

7. solarplexus

solarplexus Member

I'll wait to see if you take the plunge. I have the Alto myself. I built some FRFR for bass some years ago and I was surprised at how good the Alto sounds, but I'm a Yamaha fanboy and I'd be very interested in switching too when the budget can permit it.

8. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Supporting Member

I have had a DXR 10 for a while, IMHO there is no comparison in build quality and I/O options etc, plus a 7 year warranty

Sound is VERY objective, so take this with a grain of salt.. The DXR sounded more clear in the 500-1k range to me

9. djy8131

djy8131 Member

I just returned an Alto TS215 for a second QSC K10. (I had one already) I wanted to see if I could get away with the less expensive speaker. I was going to use the TS215 with both my Helix and our PA. In the end, the clarity, especially midrange, of the K10 won. It was also able to go much louder without audible distortion or lighting up the clip light. I realize this is not the same as the Yamaha speaker but I thought it was worth sharing.

10. UnderTheGroove

Update; I've ordered a pair of DXR10s. I'll post a follow up once I get them and have had a chance to use them. Hopefully they will arrive in time for my gigs this weekend.

James M likes this.
  11. UnderTheGroove

I got the DXR10s a couple of days ago. I'll be using one of them on my gig this weekend, so I'll hold off on a full review until after that. This is a rare gig where we supply and run our own very modest P.A., so no separate monitor mixes. I'll be using the Yamaha behind me as a back line amp (P.A. will be used for vocals only), so it will be a good test.

A few initial thoughts. The Yamaha monitor seems less boomy in the low end ad softer in the high end relative to the Altos. At modest practice volumes I'm finding I prefer this and it feels more like playing through a traditional guitar cab. They are also significantly louder than the Altos at a similar setting. One small downside is that the Yamahas have more background noise, but it's not enough to bother me so far.

I'll post more after a full test at the gig.

12. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I own both (a pair of the Altos, and a single DXR10). Comparing them side by side at home, they both sound good. I had been using the DXR at gigs, but for my last 2 gigs, I got lazy and just brought one of the Altos (since they live in my garage otherwise and the DXR lives up a flight of stairs). On the gigs, in the stage mix, I didn't think the Alto sounded as good as the DRX has on previous gigs. For whatever that very non-scientific anecdotal report is worth.