upgrade g.a.s! (gibson 335)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mcdes, Jan 4, 2008.

1. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

im going through this crazy stage of upgrades, done the speakers in my cab, trying to upgrade amp, got deluxe tele coming and looking at don mare pickups to go in.

my thought....... from what i've read, alot of people tend to like the stock pickups in there 335's, the 57' classics.

IF i was to change pickups(but keep originals of course) what good replacements are recommended? or is it best to keeps as is?

thanks in advance.

2. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I'm a few weeks away from having Timbuckers in my '92 ES-335, I'll let you know how they work.

3. ~el gringo loco

~el gringo loco Member

I just replaced the Classic '57s in my '97 335 with Sheptone Tributes, and it was a big upgrade. I'd also previously replaced the wiring harness with it's funky 330k pots and that was lots mo' betta, too.

I've heard 335's with stock '57s that were fabulous sounding, but mine wasn't one of 'em. At the same time, I really like the sound of the wood in this particular guitar and the Sheptones were exactly what I wanted to hear -- ymmv.

~j

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

I put a set of Lollar "Lo-wind" Imperials into this 335 along with a Hoveland tonecap and 50's Gibson wiring. It was a nice improvement.

[​IMG]

5. humbuster

humbuster Senior Member

Mainsale - thats a nice looking 335.