Upgrade MIM strat or buy American?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rhyn087, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Rhyn087

Rhyn087 Member

I've had a stock MIM classic 50's strat for about 10 years, and it's my only single coil guitar. I'm struggling with whether I should mod it (upgrade pickups, steel tremolo block, nut, etc.) or just by a new American standard that already comes with those features. Either way, I want to step up to something of better quality/tone. I love the v-shape neck on my guitar, but the vintage frets are really worn down to where I'm getting close to refret territory ($250-$300). Any thoughts on the best route to go?

2. geekocaster

geekocaster Supporting Member

hmm that's a tough one. Refretting is pricy but if you love it, maybe it's worth keeping? I have spent money on guitars that I probably could have just sold but 10 years is a good return on your initial investment, maybe it's worth putting some money in to upkeep.

3. f550maranello2

f550maranello2 Member

If it was me id buy a new one.. gc has 36 month financing right now... I played a nice american one yesterday.. then my gf have me the eye..

4. scott944

scott944 Member

I was ready to say "keep and mod", until you said it was close to refret time. Take yours with you, visit some stores, play side by side ... the answer will come clear quickly enough.

5. TaDaMz

TaDaMz Member

I had the same dilemma a few years ago with my MIM standard strat. Ended up going the modded route. Slowly ended up putting $300-$400 into it. The only thing original on it left is the body and neck. It turned out great and I absolutely love the guitar and will keep it til I die. It is nice to be able to pick each part that you put on it, and I would be willing to put it up against any USA strat. However, if I had to do it over, I'd probably just buy a new AmStd and not have to worry about modding it.

6. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Upgrade it and buy a USA. Or, don't upgrade it, just keep it and buy a USA.

sanrico likes this.
  7. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Gotta agree with this. I'd be on the fence about pouring money into upgrades until I saw it needed a refret too. You could easily pour the cost of a new USA Standard into it and still not get it to where you want it. You may very well be better off going to a few guitar stores and running the racks to find a gem.

8. Raygun Gothic

Raygun Gothic Member

You do realize that an AmStd won't have the soft v-neck and will have a 2 point floating trem, don't you? Not that either are bad, but if you want to duplicate your Classic 50's you'll need to step up to one of the re-issue models.

9. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

The refretting is a tough one. But if you like the guitar, there's no guarantee you will like a US strat as much. I have a US Strat and Mexi strat. The MIM is my #1. (it has upgrade pickups in it, not the original MIM ceramics) BTW, many US strats have wider string spacing at the bridge, causing edge rolloff on the high E string. The V neck is probably worth refretting. Someone ought to do a strat neck for less than $300 that's for sure.

10. texstrat

texstrat Member

I say buy a USA Strat. Overall they are higher quality guitars than their Mexican counterparts; but play a bunch and find a good one...

11. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

I'd probably play a few and then decide. Once I upgraded the pickups (very affordable Bill Lawrence) and tuners on my old MIM tele, I had almost no appetite for anything more. I say almost only because then I decided to try putting together a parts Tele and have a friend custom paint it. Splurged on Lollars and came away with a guitar than sounded a little better with a broader range of tones, didn't play quite as easily. Sold the MIM and still miss it....

12. iced_earth

iced_earth Supporting Member

You'll never get your money back on a re-fret or mods to your MIM, but after ABing your current Strat to some USAs I think your decision will be pretty clear to you.

13. koa

koa Supporting Member

I say just upgrade. The pickups in the USA Strat aren't going to be that great either. If you buy used here you can very affordably upgrade. Good luck!

14. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

Yyyyeaahh, I'd go with an upgrade, and I swear by my MIM strat (although I do think my neck may need to be swapped soon due to frets, as well). If you find a good price on a US one, go for it.

15. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Buy a used Road Worn.

16. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

The question is, can you find a new guitar that will be exactly what you want, or will you end up modding it anyway? If it's just a choice between refretting and modding the MIM Strat vs. buying a new MIA Strat and keeping it stock, then the MIA sounds like a reasonable choice. But if you want pickups that Fender doesn't offer stock in a model that you like otherwise, then you're going to mod it anyway. At that point, if you have been happy with your MIM so far, it may make more sense to just refret it and go on from there.

I've owned an MIA Strat in the past. I currently own three MIM Strats, all of which have had their electronics and plastic parts completely replaced (and in one case, the bridge and trem block have been replaced too). I like them as they are and I feel no need to replace them with more expensive MIA's. I actually like MIM's as a mod platform. Used ones are cheap enough that I don't feel any worries about messing with them in whatever way I feel like.

17. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I faced a similar dilemma years ago with my MIJ 57 RI. The skinny frets wore out in a few years. My first thought was to buy a replacement neck. Probably a Warmoth at the time. I discussed it with my luthier and what he had to say made a lot of sense. He pointed out that if I liked the neck, it'd be better to refret. Two reasons for this. One, a lot of the sound of a Fender is in the neck. Change the neck and you've likely changed the sound of the guitar. Second, a new neck (or new guitar, in your case) will most likely need a fret level/dress and fell setup. So in my case, by the time i bought a new, vintage style neck, and got it leveled and set up, the cost would be more than the refret (level/dress and full set up included in the refret price), and it may never sound anything like it did. That guitar sounds wonderful so I opted for the refret. No, I can't get my money out of it. But I'm not selling. It's one of the best sounding Strats I've ever owned. In fact, one of the best sounding I've played, including some original 60s models and my own 1970 model.

Bottom line is, if you really like the guitar, it might cost you quite a bit to find one you like as well. As has been pointed out, an American Standard won't feel anything like the vintage style guitar you have. Because of the different bridge and modern construction (including bi-flex rod), it likely won't sound the same. Whether that's good or bad only you can decide. if your MIM Classic sounds good as is, a set of better pickups will only bring out the best in it. I know quite a few pros who play MIM Fenders.

Gevalt likes this.
  18. sanrico

sanrico Member

Buy a used USA. They aren't expensive. If you get one from the 90's even better. Those are excellent Strats. I've never seen a bad one.

19. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

Have you played an American standard? If you love your v- neck, i'm not sure you will like the lame modern C that is on most models. If i were you, i would get a neck to your preferred specs with SS frets from Warmoth and slap it on your current MIM. Play it for awhile and then you can decide what else to do. Partscasters are great, they don't hold value if you buy new and mod, but if you buy the components used, you can put together exactly what you want and you already have the body. Why not? IMO its really the only way to go if you have a preferred strat neck shape other than the modern C and probably even then. Enjoy!

20. ferrell

ferrell Member