Upgrade my Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Nevada240, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Nevada240

Nevada240 Member

I have a Les Paul standard that I would like to upgrade, nothing crazy, just a few small upgrades to get a little more out of it. I definitely want and need a new nut, any ideas? Like maybe a bone nut? Or maybe a new bridge? I'm kinda happy with the pick-ups but maybe considering new ones, anybody know what kind of pick-ups Warren Haynes has in his les Pauls? Thanks for any advice

2. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

I've cut and made bone nuts....I do it for ease of cutting and shaping. It really does not change the tone much on an Electric guitar. It may help your guitar stay in tune better if you cut it right but not because it's bone.

Tone Pro bridges are good.

Warren Haynes Signature Les Paul has Burstbucker 1&2s in it.
    I have no idea if that is what he plays threw but I have an Idea his Pickups are REAL PAF.

3. Nevada240

Nevada240 Member

Correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't Burstbuckers more or less a remake or replica of the PAF Burstbuckers? So IF I'm right, you're saying that Warren probably uses the original vintage ones that the Burstbuckers are copied after? Thanks

4. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

If you need a nut either bone, or Tusq will be fine.

The first thing I'd do before considering new pickups is swap out the 300k volume pots for 500k and put better caps in it. I like Russian PIO caps - cheap and they sound good.

If it has a Nashville bridge the Faber conversion bushings are an excellent investment.

Gotoh bridge is great bang for the buck.

Really there isn't much to upgrade on a Standard that I can think of. Maybe an aluminum tailpiece and locking studs, but how much you spend vs the upgrade in tone is up to you.

Many of us have been down this path and for me it's the few things I've mentioned that produce the best results for me.

5. Nevada240

Nevada240 Member

What kind I difference will changing those pot make? Sorry, I just don't know much about this kind of stuff...thanks

6. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

I like to invest in Quality pots and really good caps.....That's JUST ME.
    R&S 500K & 250k Super Pots and Gray Tiger or Jensen Caps.....or WCR custom 500K CT Pots and WCR custom Caps...........What you get is a wider verity of tone with lots of clarity, NO MUD! AT ALL SETTINGS.
    It's like having more than one guitar......your guitar will produce more verity of Tones & Sounds.
    I'll spend $50.00 to $70.00 on quality electronics. That works for MY guitars.
    I also do 50s braided wiring. My guitars sound like 50s PAF and earlier Gibson guitars because there built nearly the same way.

Others here on GP think it's stupid to spend more than a few bucks and that's cool, it's just 2 different schools of thought.

7. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

i agree, one of the best things you can do

i also like to beef up the wiring and redo all the joints with a quality solder

then copper tape all the cavities

Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates HB set

Tone Pros locking TOM and Tail

Grover Bowties.....im good to go

8. romo

romo Supporting Member

500k pots will make a big difference. I don't buy the really expensive wiring kits. Those are usually made with a tighter tolerance, but I always measure my pots myself before installation anyway, so I can pick and choose which pots will sound better for volume or tone. Buying the expensive kits isn't stupid. They are a lot more convenient, and certainly made of good parts, but you CAN get the same result cheaper if you know where to look, and can do measurements of the components yourself.

I also just put a Callaham ABR-1 on my LP standard and am pleased with the result. I was gonna go with the Faber but got the Callaham as a gift. I think it is pretty good. I'll probably upgrade the tailpiece and studs next.

9. steve13281

steve13281 Member

Hey, I'm Steve, this is my first post around here, thought I would give you my 2 cents. I upgraded my 89 standard les Paul with wcr crossroads pickups as well as used a wcr wiring kit, it originally had bill Lawrence circuit board pickups in it. I have a couple friends who work on guitars who thought it wouldn't make much difference, after the crossroads where installed they both thought it sounded better. The consensus was it sounded more like a good les Paul should. I also wired it up fifties style and installed a Faber locking bridge, put the Faber posts in and aluminum tail piece on. The les Paul sounds awesome to me, not like a crappy 80s metal guitar. Over all each of the mods seemed to brighten it up bit by bit. If i only modded one thing though it would have to be the pickups, the crossroads made the biggest difference. The 50s wiring is cool too if your a knob twiddler, it gives your better clean up tones when the volume is turned down. Most people (your audience) won't notice!

10. Nevada240

Nevada240 Member

Thanks, all of this has been a huge help