• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Upgrade my RG570 Genesis, or spring for a new RG5170B

EthylOH

Hi All,

Just want to get your opinion on what I should do here.

I have a brand new RG570 Genesis that I bought about 9 months ago. I bought it for nostalgia purposes, as I had one when I was a kid back in 1993. The only problem is that Ibanez made the Genesis to the original 1987 specs which uses the original Edge tremolo instead of the Lo-pro Edge which was used on the 1993 RG570 that I had.

I've tried to adjust over the past 9 months, but the way they fine tuners stick up drives me insane. It's just not comfortable, and I find it really ironic that the most "shredder" type guitar I have is the one which I have the most difficulty playing fast.

So here is my dilemma...

As it turns out, Ibanez recently released the RG5170B prestige. It think the guitar looks absolutely amazing.

But for $2200, it doesn't seem all that different from my Genesis. I could probably sell my Genesis right now and clear $800 after fees (but that would require selling on Reverb/eBay etc.. with all the associated hassles and risks). My local store would probably let the RG5170B go for $2000 OTD, so I'd have to make up about $1200 to upgrade the Genesis to the RG5170B.

But my other thought is to purchase the Lo-pro Edge and swap it with the existing Edge in my guitar (it's my understanding that this is a direct swap with no mods necessary). If I do this, I'm thinking I might purchase the gold version, which would necessitate purchasing the gold tuners as well. (gold on purple/blue Genesis looks awesome as well). This will cost around $350, but I'm also considering grabbing a new bridge pickup to replace the V8 in there now. The benefit here is that I would have an original Ibanez Edge to sell on eBay/Reverb to recoup some of the costs (they seem to go for $200-250), plus a set of Gotoh tuners, and an extra V8 pickup.

So I ask, would you drop $430 on upgrades for a Genesis (which by the way is flawless and is basically a Prestige but without the name), or would you sell it and spend $1200 to upgrade to a RG5170B?

Phil3

Hi All,

Just want to get your opinion on what I should do here.

I have a brand new RG570 Genesis that I bought about 9 months ago. I bought it for nostalgia purposes, as I had one when I was a kid back in 1993. The only problem is that Ibanez made the Genesis to the original 1987 specs which uses the original Edge tremolo instead of the Lo-pro Edge which was used on the 1993 RG570 that I had.

I've tried to adjust over the past 9 months, but the way they fine tuners stick up drives me insane. It's just not comfortable, and I find it really ironic that the most "shredder" type guitar I have is the one which I have the most difficulty playing fast.

So here is my dilemma...

As it turns out, Ibanez recently released the RG5170B prestige. It think the guitar looks absolutely amazing.

But for $2200, it doesn't seem all that different from my Genesis. I could probably sell my Genesis right now and clear $800 after fees (but that would require selling on Reverb/eBay etc.. with all the associated hassles and risks). My local store would probably let the RG5170B go for $2000 OTD, so I'd have to make up about $1200 to upgrade the Genesis to the RG5170B.

But my other thought is to purchase the Lo-pro Edge and swap it with the existing Edge in my guitar (it's my understanding that this is a direct swap with no mods necessary). If I do this, I'm thinking I might purchase the gold version, which would necessitate purchasing the gold tuners as well. (gold on purple/blue Genesis looks awesome as well). This will cost around $350, but I'm also considering grabbing a new bridge pickup to replace the V8 in there now. The benefit here is that I would have an original Ibanez Edge to sell on eBay/Reverb to recoup some of the costs (they seem to go for $200-250), plus a set of Gotoh tuners, and an extra V8 pickup.

So I ask, would you drop $430 on upgrades for a Genesis (which by the way is flawless and is basically a Prestige but without the name), or would you sell it and spend $1200 to upgrade to a RG5170B?
Just keep the Genesis and make it your own. Personally I think red binding is tacky, but thats just me.

diogoguitar

not sure, I think it depends on how much you love ss frets and active pickups.

These two upgrades alone are worth what.. $650+?
I'm a sucker for ebony fingerboard... offset pearl dots are a cherry on the pie to me. Basswood body is one of my favorite body woods (but I know you already have one with it)

this one comes with a case. I find absurd a case to cost $200+... but that's what they go for...

Idk, I'd pay for it.

EthylOH

not sure, I think it depends on how much you love ss frets and active pickups.

These two upgrades alone are worth what.. $650+?
I'm a sucker for ebony fingerboard... offset pearl dots are a cherry on the pie to me. Basswood body is one of my favorite body woods (but I know you already have one with it)

this one comes with a case. I find absurd a case to cost $200+... but that's what they go for...

Idk, I'd pay for it.
You make some good points.

That said, SS frets aren't that big of a deal to me, and I don't really care about active pickups. One hot bridge humbucker and I'll be good to go. Thinking about a Dimarzio Super Distortion.

I agree on the case, but I don't actually play out, so it doesn't make much difference to me.

diogoguitar

You make some good points.

That said, SS frets aren't that big of a deal to me, and I don't really care about active pickups. One hot bridge humbucker and I'll be good to go. Thinking about a Dimarzio Super Distortion.

I agree on the case, but I don't actually play out, so it doesn't make much difference to me.

Yeah, if you don't care about the case, ss frets or the active pickups, I don't really see a point spending that much money on the guitar.
I would even dare just upgrading one pickup at a time in your current guitar and see where you land.
I've played these V7/S1/V8 set long enough that I would rather gut out the whole thing, but maybe you'd be satisfied by just replacing one or two pickups?

If I recall correctly, this genesis lineup comes with the original edge bridge, which is the flagship of Ibanez tuning stability...
Save your cash and use it somewhere else... what you have is a killer of a guitar. (note: I'm biased since I've played ibanez for what... 15 years now? lol)

Last edited:

EthylOH

Correct - it comes with the original Edge and stays perfectly in tune. I want to swap it out for the lo pro edge, which is equally as amazing, but the fine tuners don't get in the way of my palm.

As it stands now, I play it the least out of my collection solely because of the bridge.

Also been an Ibanez fan since I started playing way back in 1990. I remember hiding the Ibanez catalog under my books in math class drooling over all the different guitars. My first was an ex370 (back when they had the big red "ex" on the headstock). Played it for a couple of years before upgrading to the rg570.

It's funny, I bought a rgt320z back in 2010. It was super expensive, and was basically one step below a j-custom. But for some reason it didn't speak to me like the rg570.

I sold it a couple years later ( at a big loss no less). Still wish I kept it.

Last edited:

Gclef

I have 3 rgs.

I have 3 different HH versions. My favorite of whish is cut for HS, but with a rails pickup in the neck.

HH works for me with ibanez' 5 way switch.
Neck bucker
Neck parallel (great with high output pickups.)
Both buckers
Inner coils parallel. (Very strat like, but not really)
Bridge bucker.

No single coils needed!

That said, my next guitar is going to be a 7 string HSS with a single sized rails bucker in the neck. This one will not be an ibanez, but will have that switch and a separate on off for the middle pickup.

It depends what you like, and what you "need". If there are alternate humbuckers you want, go HH again. If you want something different, go HSS.

The air norton s works great here. Fat in series, very stratty in parallel.

jasons7

Silver Supporting Member
Tough call. You are getting AANJ, brand name pickups, ebony likely with better fret ends than the Genesis, a case and the bridge you want. I vote go for the Prestige. I’ve got a small stash of early RG’s because those are the ones I personally prefer.

Blue Lizard

Yep, a nicely done bit of bling!

I’ve had Edge and Lo-Pros; both excellent although IME the Edge seemed a little more sensitive to warbling than the Lo-Pro, so I kept that one instead. Both great and no denying the comfort underhand of the Lo-Pro.

CapnRex

Good job on finding what works for you.

IMO the lo-pro edge is the Ferrari of trems. I have it on my j-custom and it is just perfect.

Regarding pickups, check into the Gravity Storm set. A lot has happened sinve the SD was released.

EthylOH

Yep, a nicely done bit of bling!

I’ve had Edge and Lo-Pros; both excellent although IME the Edge seemed a little more sensitive to warbling than the Lo-Pro, so I kept that one instead. Both great and no denying the comfort underhand of the Lo-Pro.
I noticed this as well.

However, the Edge was soooo sensitive to warbling that even picking regular notes I could hear it.

The Lo-pro is a little bit less, which to me is an improvement.

EthylOH

Good job on finding what works for you.

IMO the lo-pro edge is the Ferrari of trems. I have it on my j-custom and it is just perfect.

Regarding pickups, check into the Gravity Storm set. A lot has happened sinve the SD was released.
Tell me more about this gravity storm

CapnRex

Tell me more about this gravity storm
It is rumored to go like this: Andy Timmons wanted a pickup like the JB but with less honkiness and the AT-1 was made. Then when Steve Vai wanted a more organic sound than his Evo 2 (could have been another pickup in between them but I forget) they tweaked the AT-1 to make his own signature. This is not official but looking at the specs and timing it seems fairly likely.

The bridge has got JB DNA but a little less output, slightly less mids, is a warm and extremely lively pickup. Awesome leads up and down the neck.

I don't have the neck pickup, but it is very highly regarded.

Axaholic

The Genesis has a square heel and the 5170 has aanj? Depends how high you like playing up the neck but you can't beat aanj for playing past the 15th fret.

Edit: just noticed you're upgrading the Genesis, cool. I've got the Gravity Storms in a couple of Ibanez guitars, it was kind of exactly what I hoped it would be. I have evo's in other guitars, the evo's cut through more for solos and have a character that you can't disguise. The Gravity Storms are a little punchier than JB's and are a great alternative to those. Having said that, I've never had jb's and gs's in the same guitar but I'd basically say Gravity Storms are my default pickup unless I'm looking for a particular sound.
I reckon they'd go really well in a Les Paul too for that matter

Last edited:

Gclef

The Genesis has a square heel and the 5170 has aanj? Depends how high you like playing up the neck but you can't beat aanj for playing past the 15th fret

Those square ibby heels are not that bad actually. No aanj, but not a fender hunk-o-wood.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom