upgrade nash electric components??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by tonewave, Sep 12, 2008.

1. tonewave

tonewave Member

I'm considering getting a rs guitarworks electronic upgrade kit for my
    Nash s63.
    Would it make a difference?
    What quality are the electronics in the Nash guitars?
    Has anyone here opened up a Nash strat?
    thanks

2. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars

I wouldn't mess with the Nash. I don't know what he's using but assuming he's using what most other builders are using, his components are 100% just fine. CTS pots will last a LONG time. I'd bet they'll still be perfect in 30 years. Probably longer than that. Other than that, he's using a 5 way or 3 way switch. He's using Switchcraft I'm sure. Those are again the standard.

I wouldn't mess with it.

The capacitor, I'd bet you could put 5 - 0.1uf of your choice on a 5 way rotary switch and not hear a difference. There's a lot of hype in capacitor choice. I've heard of people spending more on Bumble-Bee caps than the pickups. That's just ridiculous in my opinion.

Save time and money and just leave the electronics alone. I'm sure they're good quality. If you're not happy with the tone, the pickups are of course the first place to start. There are LOTS of good pickups to try now days. Here are my favorites offered by various manufacturers on the market:
    -Van Zandt
    -JM Rolph
    (The two above are both handwound and in my opinion better than the machine wound pickups I've tried)
    -Fralin
    -Duncan Antiquity
    -Suhr
    -Lollar
    -Fender (alnico)

All of those are good choices that I've used and would give you good tones from your guitar in my opinion.

3. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

"Upgrade" is a misnomer. Swap and tinker are more appropriate (IMHO)

There are guys that buy a brand-new LP R9's and then swap out all the electronics and pups right away.

There are guys that buy a MIM Strat and play it as-is for many years and dig it.

4. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

Good post.

5. codyj84

codyj84 Member

And since Nick wont plug his own pickups, Rocketfires are AMAZING! And hes running a KILLER deal for them in the Dealers Emporium. You should jump all over it!!!! He handwinds them and they are TONE TONE TONE!

Just saying......
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=438503

6. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars

Thanks Cody:) I appreciate the plug!

The sale on them ended yesterday for anyone who tried to link to Cody's link.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008