upgrade Speaker for Blues Jnr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by iMatt, Sep 21, 2006.

1. iMatt

iMatt Member

would welcome some speaker advice. I recently bought a new Blues Jnr - special edition with a sunburst finish (couldn't resist 'cause its the same finish as my strat). Anyway, I know its an open back 1x12 but it seems to lack bottom end all the same. Any sugestion for replacement speaker that will slot right in and improve my tone?

2. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Jensen P something ;)
    I just drew a blank..

3. iMatt

iMatt Member

That was quick - thanks.

I should have said by the way that the speaker in it seems to be some Fender own brand thing. Got to be honest and admit I don't know a lot about speakers - guess I wouldn't be askin for help otherwise.

4. frank62

frank62 Member

i've had good results with a clestion g12m greenback in the blues junior. jj el84 power tubes will help as well.

5. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I've tried at least 6 speakers in my black tolex '03 Blues Jr...my favorites were the Reverend Alltone 1250 very nice Jensen sound with less top fizz and more definited bass than the stock Fender/Eminence speaker. So far my favorite is an Emi Tonespotter, brings out the best in the EL84 brit character of the amp...overall a nice thick tone with pleasant upper mid accent on strats. I also thought the Emi Cannabis Rex would have been good for phat blues, but it killed the chime and twang in my telecaster (I didn't give it more than a week though...it's now sounding very good in my boss's Fender Blues Deluxe).

hth,

J

6. Jonster

Jonster Member

I have an old Kendrick Black Frame (un-doped) in mine, and although it cut some of the volume (which actually was a good thing) it sounds terrific. I have had a V30, Emi GB12, Greenback, and a G12H30 in mine, and the Kendrick sounds the best. It smooths out the highs, and retains the Fender character, without farty-ness or harshness. I can run the mids higher with this spkr as well. I am not sure if they make them anymore,......but worth a look.

With this spkr, NOS tubes, and I clipped the treb cap,.....the amp sounds pretty darn good. I always am surprised when I plug into it, and although I want to dismiss it as simply a "practice" amp, it sees regular duty as a gigged/rehearsed amp. Yes, a bit boxy, but I get killer Tele tones with it.

7. Blueser

Blueser Member

How about a Weber Blue Dog.

8. Tonebender

Tonebender Supporting Member

I'll second the Eminence Tonespotter.....

In the smaller cabinet, that speaker will give you the maximum bass response with good definition. In my opinion, the Tonespotter mates really well with that amp.

You may also want to look into modding the circuit; a stock Blues Junior has its share of shortcomings.

9. Brien

Brien Member

Weber 12f150 (c12n)

10. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Eminence Tonker has good all around tone - treble and bass.

11. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Speakers with hemp cones really need to be broken in before they sound right. I have Hempcine TT alnico 10s in my super Reverb that are not yet broken in and the top end sounds quite veiled compared to the Eminence speakers they replaced.

Despite that, I have an original formula Hempcone Tone Tubby alnico 12" that sounds absolutely fantastic in my BFDR. If you want detail, a solid bottom end, and a singing high end when pushed I highly recommend them. It's more of a great blues and rock speaker than a country speaker (really comes alive when pushed), but it's great for jazz as well.

stratzrus

12. go7

go7 Member

+1 Cannabis Rex. Do require more breaking in. Awesome. Description as above,right on. Good luck!!

13. ronin32

ronin32 Member

Theres a SE Blues JR? With a Sunburst finish? Were did you get that?

14. iMatt

iMatt Member

Got it about a month ago from local dealer in Manchester - was told abut 200 were cdoming into the UK and they had two. It was about £50 more than the standard tolex.

Thanks for all the speaker advice guys. Lots to choose from. Going down to my dealer this morning to see what they stock out of those suggested.

Got a nasty feeling I've discovered a new way to obsess about my gear and tone. Better start saving.

Matt

15. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

This is not what you want to hear but after trying a variety of different speakers in my own Blues Junior, I eventually sold it (bought a Reverend Hellhound instead). The amp is what it is, you can finagle at the margins perhaps but that's it. The best sounding speaker of the bunch that I tried was a custom Jensen recone by Paradocs in Maryland.

16. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Ah yes...the obsession with finding "tone" in a Blues Jr. My advise, try one upgrade to the speaker, if that doesn't get you in the tonal ballpark that you are looking for...move on. That little amp has it's weaknesses (cab size and circuit) and can not be made to sound like a boutique amp. It does the blues dirt tone well, scooped Blackface tones with big depth and sweet reverb - you'll never find it from the Blues Jr.

I speak from knowledge as I'm finally moving on too...looking for a 6L6 driven amp with some deeper tone now.

17. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

stock speaker sounds fine for my needs :hiP

18. iMatt

iMatt Member

I'm intrigued - what mods?

Someone above mentions clipping the treb cap. Are there a standards set of mods poeple do to these amps?

19. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Ahhh yes, one of my favorite topics, the venerable and somewhat underrated Blues Jr

I respectfully disagree with those that say that if a Speaker change doesn't work then move on. A Speaker change was essential to me (I've got a Weber C12N in there, sounds great) but several Mods AND a change in Tubes makes an even bigger difference

I suggest some JJ Tubes, if you are on a budget. New Old Stock tubes will make an even bigger difference

As for the Mods, check out the website of the infamous Bill M
    http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/bluesjunior.htm

I've got 2 Blues Jr's. One is stock and the other is heavily Modified. I'm in the process of selling the Stock Blues Jr simply for monetary reasons, however the modified Blues Jr regularily amazes people with it's tone and is one amp that I will never sell.

20. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

I went through the same trials. It's the cab! I ran my B jr. into my HRDX cab ( same eminence legend 125) and big difference.