upgrade to Protools 11?

asante

hiya, just wondering if pT 11 is that much better? money an issue, so i hesitate, but anyone out there made the jump, are you glad you did? my mac is burly enough to take advantage of the 64-bit archit. might be foolish not to go for it…?

Nelson89

hiya, just wondering if pT 11 is that much better? money an issue, so i hesitate, but anyone out there made the jump, are you glad you did? my mac is burly enough to take advantage of the 64-bit archit. might be foolish not to go for it…?
I'm a logic man myself, but i know a lot of people who have made the jump, some loved it, some went back. The biggest issue most of them had was the actual plugin's. If you've invested a bit of money on RTAS plugs (32bit), quite a few of them don't yet have an AAX (64bit) version, so by simply upgrading they no longer had access to a big chunk of their investment. If you're just using the stock plugs then this isn't really a massive issue, just putting it out there that this was one of the bigger things people ran into.

When you say your mac is barely enough to take advantage of the 64bit architecture, how so? What are the specs?

JCM 800

YES upgrade!! The one and only "issue" right now is that not all companies have ported their plugins to AAX. Eventually most everyone will.

Pro Tools 11 is a new program from the ground up. It looks the same, but the performance is amazing. Offline Bounce is FINALLY a reality. Lots of great new features.

mattball826

YES upgrade!! The one and only "issue" right now is that not all companies have ported their plugins to AAX. Eventually most everyone will.

Pro Tools 11 is a new program from the ground up. It looks the same, but the performance is amazing. Offline Bounce is FINALLY a reality. Lots of great new features.
wait for this reason alone!

if you have no plugins then by all means.

ol bounce is old hat to many many other daw software progs, as are 64bit eng, etc etc etc.

avid seems to lag so many other progs. their unreasonably hyped demand is what keeps it going.

testing1two

Platinum Supporting Member
From a technical standpoint there's no reason not to upgrade. There is an incredible amount of AAX-64 bit plug-ins and wrapper plug-ins that allow the use of VST plug-ins. In fact there are enough plug-ins included with PT11 to mix a project. BUT, if you are happy and productive with your current setup then keep on working and save your money until you're 100% sure it's time to upgrade.

asante

thanks for replies, I've been researching around, looks like most of my plug-ins (UA, Slate, NI) will be compatible with PT 11, updates all seem to be free (correct me if i'm wrong? makes sense the VST companies would want to keep up with PT). Will probably go ahead when I've got the cash, but, UA updates are still in a beta version, i'd prefer to wait til that is smoothed out a bit more-- I'm trying to reach a state of completion for current projects and make the jump when I'm at some sort of pause before taking on the next big pile of tracks. Bottom line is, no need to hurry.

asante

I'm a logic man myself, but i know a lot of people who have made the jump, some loved it, some went back. The biggest issue most of them had was the actual plugin's. If you've invested a bit of money on RTAS plugs (32bit), quite a few of them don't yet have an AAX (64bit) version, so by simply upgrading they no longer had access to a big chunk of their investment. If you're just using the stock plugs then this isn't really a massive issue, just putting it out there that this was one of the bigger things people ran into.

When you say your mac is barely enough to take advantage of the 64bit architecture, how so? What are the specs?
Hi Nelson89, yes I dig Logic too, trying to be good at both-- by burly I meant my Macpro has 12-core, heard someone recently say if I'm recording at 24-bit then I'm not making use of that power, true? I have no proper mentor so am teaching all this to myself.

Nelson89

thanks for replies, I've been researching around, looks like most of my plug-ins (UA, Slate, NI) will be compatible with PT 11, updates all seem to be free (correct me if i'm wrong? makes sense the VST companies would want to keep up with PT). Will probably go ahead when I've got the cash, but, UA updates are still in a beta version, i'd prefer to wait til that is smoothed out a bit more-- I'm trying to reach a state of completion for current projects and make the jump when I'm at some sort of pause before taking on the next big pile of tracks. Bottom line is, no need to hurry.
Which slate plugs are you talking about? They have a 64bit VCC, but I'm still waiting for FG-X to go 64bit. I can't currently use it on my iMac running logic X as a result.

Trending Topics