upgrade?

dolecekj

I have a LP_ copy except instead of a set neck and mahogony, it is a bolt on and it is basswood....ideally one would buy a better guitar but not an option here being disabled.....This is used at bedroom levels using a non-tube Blackstar amp.....would better pickups help? At bedroom volumes using a blackstar ID is body would that big of as deal? I don't have the option otherwise it would make me feel better to know that great pickups with a basswood guitar would be a great choice.....iuf you read my other posts im a diabetic that had some amputation so i'm using a rondo music guitar with basswood body so i was hoping i coulod put great pickups in it and it wo0uld make it great....financially my options are limited so just trying to do the best i can and of course this is only for bedroom levels.

thx712517

If you've got a screwdriver and some time, try playing with pickup height, angle, and pole piece height. Higher on the treble side for more high end, or bring the bass side up for more oomph.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/22114-mod-garage-humbucker-height-adjustment

From Warmoth's website, they describe basswood as follows.

Basswood (Tilia americana):
This is a lighter weight wood normally producing Strat® bodies under 4 lbs. The color is white, but often has nasty green mineral streaks in it. This is a closed-grain wood, but it can absorb a lot of finish. This is not a good wood for clear finishes since there is little figure. It is quite soft, and does not take abuse well. Sound-wise, Basswood has a nice, growley, warm tone with good mids. A favorite tone wood for shredders in the 80s since its defined sound cuts through a mix well.

I've gone through a couple grand in buying and selling guitars and the lesson I still haven't learned is you can't buy talent. Practice is free, Youtube has lots of good videos, and a solid state amp probably has some neat modeling features that will let you play with getting various tones from your guitar without having to buy pedals.

PartoftheDark

With Blackstars historically, you're often better served to change out the speaker for something more substantial, but with the ID series, I'm not sure what they even have in there and how that would affect the modeling the amp is doing. Rondo's bolt on guitars are usually really solidly built still, so I wouldn't worry about that and the body material as much. As for the pickups, I'm not sure what the bolt on Agiles have in them. They usually just say something like, "High powered humbucker," or something along those lines. I guess what you do pickup-wise depends more on what sort of sound you're going for more than anything else. Let us know and we'll have some suggestions.

dolecekj

I did buy my guitar from rondo but its the lower end hadean line of guitars.....i'm a metal guy so i want something that i can play screeching ear pinching leads

PartoftheDark

I'd played a Hadean and it was decent after a thorough setup. Even less of a clue on what pickups are in there. In metal, there's usually the screech camp vs the chug camp. There are Duncan JB, EMG 81, Dimarzio Super Distortion, and people like the BareKnuckle pickups, but I haven't gotten to them yet. There are a host of others I'm sure people will chime in with.

AlanH

The bolt on aspect will mainly impact on sustain rather than tone. As a metal player, with lots of gain going on, you don't need to worry too much about sustain and tone woods compared to some other genres. I say a replacement pickup is a good idea if you find that tweaking the pickup and pole piece heights doesn't help. You could probably pick up (excuse the pun) a used Gibson 498T or Seymour Duncan JB for quite cheap, either of which would be good for rock and metal (especially the JB). However, an alternative to "lift the blanket" that's over your tone could be to use an EQ pedal. Danelectro make a budget 7-band one but I like my Artec 8 band EQ/tuner.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom