Upgrades for Classic 30

Fusionshred

Silver Supporting Member
Howdy. I'm not a tech by any stretch but I can change out tubes. I have a recent Peavey Classic 30 (with the standby switch). I think I've played it enough to break in the speaker. Thing is, I find it slightly harsh, slightly noisy, and slightly boxy. Even with the mid all the way down it still really isn't clean like Fender clean. . . and with the bass cranked it still doesn't have the punch. . .

My goal is NOT to get it close to an AC30. Rather, I'd like cleans like BF fender (better bass and a little more "polished" sounding). The OD is actually pretty decent but of course some smoother, less bright OD would be a big plus.

And the amp hums a little when the standby switch is flipped on, regardless of volume or whether a guitar is plugged in, etc.

SO (thanks for reading so far, LOL!) I know I don't want to do anything more than a speaker swap and/or a tube swap. But is it worth it? Is there something that would get me closer to a Fender BF clean (less boxy sounding; less harsh), quiet it down, and still give me a great "Classic Rock" OD?

Or am I trying to make the C30 something it isn't?

TY!

Rawk100

It's worth going over to the Peavey forum and posting there in the amp section, they're a friendly bunch! On that forum they recommend a tungsol 12AX7 in V1, JJ ECC803 in V2 and Sovtek 12AX7 LPS in V3 plus a set of JJ EL84's for the output valves. I've tried these in my classic 50 and it improved things greatly.

The standard Blue Marvel speaker doesn't get much love and there are several threads regarding speaker changes. My C50 presently runs a pair of a Eminence Texas Heats which are more fuller and less trebly than the Marvels, the Swamp Thang also gets a thumbs up as it has a well rounded bottom end.

talbotpat

I think that amp ships with Ruby tubes installed. I had an older Classic 50 410 that was a different amp with JJ's in it. Have seen others with Classics do the same and have similar results. Much smoother and less bright/harsh. For no more than a set of JJ's will cost you, it's worth trying.

teefus

there are circuit tweaks that can get you there. check out blueguitar.org if you are handy with a soldering iron and not faint of heart.

I ran a bunch of speakers through my Classic 30 when I had it and the Blue Marvel always came out on top. Of course it was about 20 years old and broken in good. I find that the Blue Marvel is a nice match to that amp in the long run.

tele_jas

I had a Peavey Classic 30 and was the opposite as the post above mine, I disliked the Blue Marvel quite a bit. I tried several other speakers and found the Weber Blue Dog (ceramic) was very nice sounding with a lot of nice lows and low mids and reminded me of my Deluxe reverb (a little bit). I ultimately went with a Eminence Red Fang to get a more "Vox" tone.

The Blue Marvel was way too boxy for me. Other speakers I tried, and liked, were the V30, G12H30 and the Mesa C90. All of these took care of the "boxy" tone and all sounded good IMO.

evildik

I loaded my C30 with an Emi Private Jack & JJ tubes all around and thought it was much improved vs. stock. I was not a fan of the OD channel though so I used pedals for dirt. I would also turn the volume on the OD pedal way down and turn up the volume on the amp a bit higher than I would without the pedal to make it sound a little more alive. You can of course do the same thing with an attenuator or volume pedal in the loop, but that's how I did it. The downside is that there was a big jump in volume when I turned off the dirt pedal since it wasn't choking the signal using that method so it didn't really lend itself to dirty & clean in the same song. That was my "amp I should have never parted with".

NoBrakes

I have a older one. I did basically the blue guitar mods, wgs reaper hp, tubes. Harshness is gone. I don't think power tubes make that much difference but pre amp tubes do. I'm using Tung Sols in mine. I'll put my 30 up against most anything.

DaveKS

CRex would probably be perfect for what you want. Add some RCA 7025/12ax7a to v1 and/or v2.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
there are circuit tweaks that can get you there. check out blueguitar.org if you are handy with a soldering iron and not faint of heart.
You stole my thunder. This is great advice. The circut as is has too much going on in the midrange. A few cap swaps and assorted minor tweaks apparently do alot to resolve the issues presented by the OP. I really dig my C30 but have strongly considered at least some of the blue guitar mods. I put a Cannibus Rex in mine (BIG upgrade). It's an 8 ohm speaker, where the stock Blue Marvel is 16. I simply put a dummy plug in the extension speaker out. The amp really improves when the transformer "sees" 8 ohms (trust me - its totally safe and plenty of guys do it). Otherwise I use all JJ tubes, which Peavey usually ships with.

Fusionshred

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, guys! Nice responses. I think I will hit up Eurotubes for a set. AS for speakers, there are sooooooo many choices out there and I don't have a lot of time or money to do tryouts. I liked an Eminence hemp cone speaker a lot in a blues junior I had and it supposedly has a nice smoothness and a lot of headroom and I did find that to be the case. I wonder how that would fare in the C30. Others like the Blue Dog. . .

onwingsoflead

In mine I run a TAD 5751 in v1, JAN Phillips 12ax7 in v2, a JJ 12at7 in v3 and Valve Art EL84s for power. I also have a set of clipped pin tubes to drop in as the outer pair for half power (learn about this on blue guitar). This tube setup really helped relieve some of the congeste tone even with the stock blue marvel.

As for speaker I currently have a Carr Kingpin speaker in it.

Did find this week with the Bearfoot tourbox that the Little Red Trebler up front can help Blackface the mid response a bit.

Fusionshred

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone with experience - can you tell me if the Eminence Cannabis Rex or the Weber Blue Dog Ceramic will fit into a C30 without modifications?

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone with experience - can you tell me if the Eminence Cannabis Rex or the Weber Blue Dog Ceramic will fit into a C30 without modifications?
C Rex fit in mine with zero issues. I cant imagine any issues with a large majority of speaker options as the cabinet is not too small. Only an alnico speaker with a huge bell cover would cause an issue.

harpinon

I can tell you that with a speaker swap and a catalinbread cb30 it can sound really good. I thought the Weber blue dog ceramic was a great upgrade.

ghostrider

I would recommend selling it and buying a used DRRI. Yeah, you'll have to kick in some cash to make up the difference, but if you upgrade your speaker and your tubes, you're probably pretty close to covering that difference in cost and you still have a C30 that is not a true BF Fender.

Just my .02

Trending Topics