Upgrades to an '07 Les Paul Studio

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HEAVENandHELL, Jan 7, 2008.

1. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

TGP gang,
    I got a Les Paul Studio last year and, while I enjoy the guitar, there are some aspects that keep it from being a main guitar for me.

1. The pickups are hotter than most of my other guitars. I don't have a problem with this specifically, but this guitar gives nasty feedback (sounds like microphonic) at a lower volume than my other guitars. Are the pickups just bad? Is there anything I can do, short of replacing them, to fix this problem? If I do have to replace them, can I keep the pu covers on the guitar so the looks don't change?

2. The volume pots are incredibly non-linear. Should I just change them? If so, what to?

Thank you for any help offered.
    Gregg

2. Shugaboy

Shugaboy Member

I bought an 07 Studio and put in an RS guitar works electronics kit (making the volume pots linear) and different pickups. I dont like the stock pickups at all - very hot, no really good clean sound possible in my opinion.

3. kselbee

kselbee Member

They sure are some hot pickups! But I rather like them... it's the weight of the guitar that kills it for me.... just really heavy.

4. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I put on grover tuners, RS premium vintage wiring kit, duncan alnico pro 2 and custom 5 pickups and a lightweight tailpiece.
    It sound's pretty nice IMO.

5. Shugaboy

Shugaboy Member

I believe the 07's are 'weight relieved'

6. Masa

Masa Member

Yes, they're, but some of them are still heavy.

7. kselbee

kselbee Member

My studio is a couple years old... didn't realize they're weight relieved now.... maybe I should check one out!

8. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

I was totally surprised but my '07 Studio weighs no more than my ibanez jem style guitars, maybe less!

9. ARch

ARch Member

That's crazy about the weight - I've got an '03 LP Studio that's around 11 or 12lbs.

I put an RS wiring kit on mine and it made a world of difference, but the pickups still drag it down a lot. I'm planning on replacing them soon with one of the thousand humbucker options this board informed me about.

10. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

the pickups are crazy hot. some low output pafs and new wiring will take a blanket off of that guitar and let it breathe.

11. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

So what is this "RS" wiring kit that's been mentioned so many times and where do I find one?
    Thanks,
    Gregg

12. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Here:

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms/

13. utterhack

utterhack Member

They've been weight-relieved since the 80s. The 07s change the configuration of the weight relief routes from "swiss cheese" to "tone chambers."

They are light as hell, but don't quite feel like Pauls...

14. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

Thanks for the RS info. Now how about a dealer that I can buy a replacement pickguard from? :AOK

15. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

I'm also wondering if I purchase replacement pickups if I can still use the covers that came on the original pickups so as not to change the look of the guitar? Or are the covers a source of problems?

16. ARch

ARch Member

Covers shouldn't be part of the problem, but unless your new pups come with covers on them, you might be melting some wax to get the old ones off and then heating it up to get it on the new ones...

17. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I always say do the cheapest possible modification FIRST - on cars and guitars and infernal computars.

I know this may seem obvious, but have you adjusted the height of the pickups? I would take them as low as they can go - and then see how nonlinear your pots are before you go rewiring and replacing pickups. They might just be be too darn close to the strings.

Of course, doing a pickup and wiring harness replacement has it's own rewards - and costs. You will likely spend at least $250 for pickups and wiring harness - more for boutique humbuckers. And you will not truly know how they sound until you have completely finished, re-strung and tweaked the pickup height.

Good luck in your quest. :)

18. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

I'm actually not unhappy with the gain of the stock pickups, just the fact that they feedback, and not in a good way, before the pus on my other guitars. So if I'm all set up at a show and switch to the Les Paul for a while, suddenly I'm fighting feedback problems!

I think I need to replace the volume pots regardless as they are so non-linear that I can't stand to use them! I'll try making one change at a time so I can hear the difference.

19. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Which are the "stock" pickups?
    Burstbucker 2 & 3 ?
    490R and 498T?

20. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

I believe the 490R and 498T.