Upgrading an American Deluxe Strat's Inertia (trem) Block...Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jawsjr2, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Jawsjr2

Jawsjr2 Supporting Member

I have a 50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat and have read about upgrading the inertia (tremolo) block for added sustain and clarity. I can see upgrading a mexican strat but isn't the inertia block of a Amer Deluxe Strat already made of the recommended steel?

Also, I have heard that upgrading the saddles would also greatly improve the tone of the guitar.

One last thing... Can I upgrade the SCN pickups to say Fralin Vintage Hots while keeping the regular S1 electronics?

Thoughts? Recommendations??

Thanks,
    Chip

2. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Yeah -I was wondering this myself also. Was thinking of a Callaham...

3. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

I just bought a Callaham block from a board member.. should be here in the next few days.. I personally think it is some hype and a little bs.. (totally based on gut feel) and that after paying big $$ for a trem block, of course you are going to be biased that your money was "well spent".

After I put the block in the 50th anniversary american strat.. I will try to keep an open mind.. better/or not.. and if there is a difference.. how much..

4. Jawsjr2

Does anyone sell a "tremolo blocker" to block the tremolo since I don't use it anyway? Not real crafty with cutting and sanding little pieces of wood....

5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

If the trem block is zinc, then it's worth replacing. If it's cold rolled steel, you won't get anything out of going Callaham other than a lighter wallet. Take a look, it's easy to tell.

6. Kelly

Kelly Member

Agreed, although supposedly Fender uses hotrolled steel and Callaham uses coldrolled. Can't imagine there'd be a big difference. If it is steel, try scraping the paint off, especially between the block and the bridge plate.

7. Jawsjr2

Per Bill Callaham's response to me:

"Calling the Am. Deluxe block steel is insulting to quality steel. There is a night and day difference changing to our block."

8. Jawsjr2

Anyone know where I can buy a piece of hardwood to Block the Tremolo as I don't use it and am fed up with my low E going flat when I do double-stop bends????

9. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

You can have a tech install a bolt into the front face (headstock side) of the trem block. Then you can adjust the angle of the bridge for optimal string break angle while still allowing downward trem bends and eliminating any problem with double stop bends and such. Works like a charm.

10. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member