1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading an Edwards LP-98 LTS

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by mwittoesch, Jan 7, 2008.

1. mwittoesch

mwittoesch Member

Hi All,

I just got CTS pots and Vitamin Q caps for my new Edwards LP. It looks like the original pots were metric....so I guest I have to bore out the holes a bit. Anybody else have experiences to share upgrading their Edwards LP copies? Thanks!

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I have a 130LTS/RE. I've swapped out the Antiquties with a WCR Peter Green set and am having it rewired with some higher quality wiring. Had to swap the original oil/paper caps with some Mojo oil/paper caps due to an accident with a soldering iron. :eek: Also throwing on a Tonepros aluminum ABR1 bridge and a cast tailpiece. Hoping the Tonepros will fatten things up a bit, which is why I went with the cast tailpiece as opposed to the aluminum. Mine came stock with CTS pots, but since I'm a clod with a soldering iron I'm having a tech go through and check the electronics. I personally am finding Edwards Guitars to be a little light on the low end and grunt dept. Could be due to the extremely light weight? Both of my Edwards weighed in at 7.5#. If the guitar doesn't fatten up after the tech visit, I may throw in some WCR Goodwoods.

3. sleis

sleis Member

I have the lp-98 as well and should have the pots in today's mail. Hovland caps going in. I think I am going to keep the pickups in for a bit after I rewire it to see what effect that has on things. Love the guitar, can't wait to hear how things open up after the parts swap.

4. mwittoesch

mwittoesch Member

sleis, you are going to have to drill out the holes for the pots to 3/8". The first hole was kind of scary, but after that, no problem. Be sure to put a bit of tape over the hole before drilling to reduce the chance of a chip.

5. sleis

sleis Member

Thanks for the head's up. I have a hand reamer that I will use to open up the holes, I prefer slow and easy for these types of things!