upgrading electronics in cij jazzmaster..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pen15, Sep 1, 2008.

1. pen15

pen15 Member

im gonna drop in some novak pickups in my jazzy and was thinkin about upgrading the electronics...what pots/parts do i need?...probably gonna leave the rhythm circuit alone...

thanks

2. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Novak huh? Gotta check them out.

RS guitar works has an upgrade kit for the Japanese JM's. Basically, it is upgrading to American componentry.

Gonna get one myself.

Emee

3. pen15

pen15 Member

couldnt find the upgrade kit in the rsguitarworks page...link?

4. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

First of all- good call on the Novaks. I am running his JM FAT (neck) and JM CC (bridge) in one of my JMs.

All you need, of course, are two pots - 1 meg linear (volume) and 1 meg audio (tone), and a .033 cap (there's plenty of room in a JM control cavity for an orange drop if that is what you want). Voila' - there's your "upgrade kit".

Some JM fans like me have tried different pot values- 500k, 250k. I personally think stock JMs are a little too bright.

You can also swap out the mini-pots for the alternate neck pickup circuit (overkill in my opinion). Those values are 1 meg linear (volume) and 50k linear (tone) with a .02 tone cap.

All of the above is available from a good electronics source. I like doing business with Steve at www.angela.com. Just email him a shopping list and a credit card# and the stuff shows up in a couple of days.

5. pen15

pen15 Member

cool man...thanks! so, the lower the pot value the more highs?

6. Addicted toEF86

Addicted toEF86 Member

The other way around. Higher the pot value, the more treble that bleeds through the circuit.

7. Seditious

Seditious Member

Have you ever tried the lollars? I was thinking of buying those, but if the Novaks are better....

I have a thin skin, and the stock pickups sound great for the low E, but the A and D seem to get lost in the mix and the G,B, and high E are a little ice picky. These aren't huge issues, but I know this guitar can sound better. I play mostly shoegazer/britpop type stuff and this guitar excels at it. I do need to change the bridge pronto though. I hate the stock one.

8. pen15

pen15 Member

i have a lollars in my jazz...its a great set...i wanted a bridge pup with a lil more punch...im going with his jm-p90 in the bridge and his vintage pup in the neck...

9. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

Yes- I actually have a set of Lollars in another one of my JMs. Lollar really understands Jazzmasters (he pays a '59 himself). The Lollars are fantastic as exact replacement stock JM pickups.

Novak makes those too, but the Novaks I bought are wound differently than stock JM pickups. The JM FAT is just that- somewhere between a stock JM and a P-90 with Strat type magnets. It still sounds like a JM, but with a little extra, and REALLY sings with amp or pedal overdrive. In the bridge slot I have the Novak CC- basically a Charlie Christian style P-90 built to fit a JM pickup mount with no mods. More powerful and midrangey than a stock JM. These pickups are great for rock and blues.

If you visit Curtis Novak's website, you will see from the photos that some of his JM pickups are wound quite differently than stock.

10. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

Which set on the RS works site is for the CIJ model or does it matter? +1 for the Lollars. I love mine.

11. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

I just wanted to add that I dropped some Novaks in my CIJ Jaguar and it sounded great! He was an awesome guy to deal with and very helpful as well.