Upgrading Electronics in Gretsch Sparkle Jet help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by treeuh, Jul 19, 2014.

1. treeuh

treeuh Member

Hey all- I was hoping to get some help with possibly rewiring my Sparkle Jet. In particular, the master volume, but as with anything it's probably not as simple as swapping out a pot...

Basically, I've noticed that the volume taper on the master volume (that I use all of the time) has 1) introduced him as soon as it's below wide open and 2) even when it was working properly would significantly cut highs when it wasn't run wide open... The taper wasn't bad, but all my high end was gone..

I know there are other rocking the duo jet and maybe sparkle jet, so what say you of changing the guts a bit?

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    sounds like you're talking about treble bleed.
    My 2003 Jet 6131 with TV Jones Classic PUPs doesn't have it.
    Didn't have it when I had Gretsch HS filtertrons in it either.

What's the model and PUP details on yours.
    And have you tried adjusting the PUPs?

3. treeuh

treeuh Member

It's a 2011 Gretsch 6129TL with the stock Filtertrons... would swapping out the volume pot or cap here or there help? Any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks!

4. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Yes, Waxhead is correct. A treble bleed was required for my 6129TLS. Some folks like it dark... But, it got too dark, too fast for my tastes. I tried it with both resistor and cap, but I cut the resistor back out because it changed the taper.

5. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

It is well worth the $$$ to get the wiring kit from TV Jones.
    If you're handy with guitar electronics, it'll take you an hour, if not less.
    If not, it's an easy fix for your tech.
    I outfitted my pre-Fender red Sparkle Jet with the wiring and pups (you don't need TV Jones pups-you can just get the wiring kit.)
    Big improvement

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Try adjusting the PUPs first

7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I have a basic Pro Jet. I have been curious about tweaking the controls a bit. I find treble bleed kits to sound a little fizzy compared to the 50's style wiring that is pretty easy on a simple Tele or LP/SG/335 setup.
    I also think it is not necessary to pay a markup for a "wiring kit" when I have skills to wire myself.
    I am hoping this thread will get legs with ideas for cap values and schemes.