Upgrading Honey Beest 3 knob to 4 knob worth it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by coralreefer, Feb 19, 2012.

1. coralreefer

coralreefer Senior Member

Recent addition of a quality tube amp has opened a whole new world of "pedaldom" to me. Just acquired a 3 knob Bearfoot Honey Beest and it is phenomenal. I am running Honey Bee > Honey Beest > Tim and I've got to tell you, I didn't know guitar tone could be this sweet. As a side note, I've got a Timmy in front of dirt and a Tim behind. Tim behind sounds multiples better!! Question--How much better could the Beest sound by having a fourth knob? Are there 3 knob owners who switched to 4 knobs Beests and feel they didn't gain much? My understanding is the 3 knob's set pregain is at about 3:00 on the 4 knob.

2. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sorry I can't be of much help! But I'm interested in this as well. I use the 3-knob Beest, and its the coolest F'n OD/Dist box I have ever used. I don't know how it could be better..........But I am proven wrong quite frequently!!!!

3. MrSoGood

MrSoGood Member

As I understand it from Donner, the 3 knob Beest is like the 4 knob Beest with the pre-gain booster set around 3 o'clock. So with the 4 knob, you can get a little more saturation, and also a lot less.

4. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Wish I could help you. I have the 4 knob I bought in the emporium recently and absolutely love it! If this will help, I love my HB too. If its a big price jump, I would just keep the 3 knob.

kidmandude likes this.
  5. Seegs

Seegs Member

Just got done with the BFFX tourbox #2 which had a Hbeest in it and had the HB in the previous tourbox...also had 3 original BJF Honeybees and IMO...

The Hbeest trumps the HB in every way...tone...versatlitily...feel and usefulness...the HB was not something I needed...no need to make my big amp sound small...the Hbeest otoh is one of the best pedals of anykind that I have ever tried...

Chow,
    Seegs

6. coralreefer

coralreefer Senior Member

Thanks for the thoughts. I, too, am blown away by the HBeest...but without having played 3 knob + 4 knob, how much tonally am I leaving on the table by NOT jettisoning the 3 knob and getting the 4 knob? Yes, I know it's a matter of opinion...

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

my 2 cents...I wouldn't hesitate to dump the 3 knob for a beest...you can ballpark the 3 knob tones with the 4knob but not vice versa...

Chow,
    Seegs

8. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I've never thought the Bee made my amp sound smaller... you feel like it did?

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

That's its exact intention...was designed to imitate an old Supro amp...which is what it does to big clean amps give them that small wattage cranked amp...early breakup sound and feel complete with the farty and loose bass end...the BFFX is not nearly as farty and loose as the original though...

Chow,
    Seegs

10. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Yeah I've always understood it to be like that - I guess maybe its just never bothered me. :)

By the way - yer review of the Beest is makin' me gas for one. I just don't need a Bee and Beest so it's hard trying to choose just one.

So does the Beest have a more modern sound than the Bee? Or does it keep the vintage feel and vibe of the Bee?

11. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Ok big question - does the 4 knob Beest stack as well as the original/normal Bee??

12. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I had exactly the same experience with my original BJF Honey Bee through my AC30. It was SO authentic that it did in fact make the 2 x 12" combo sound smaller. You can feel that you're running into the headroom ceiling just like with a really small amp.

When I recently tried a BearFoot HB through my Magic Brit MK2 15 Watt 1 x 12" I didn't feel that "limiting" in the same way but of course it's a smaller, lower headroom amp to begin with.

I've been running BearFoot Tourboxes in Australia and I've just received among other things the Honey Beest. I'll get to compare it to a Bearfoot Honey Bee in a few days.

13. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

I'm also interested in knowing if the beest makes your amp sound like a small best up combo? I got the Mad Professor SHOD for the reason it works well with my amp, I would like my 50 and 100 watt 6L6 amps to sound as they do just overdriven and with the touch sensitivity/open-ness. Interested in the Honey Beest as I want something with more gain (currently find the SHOD to work best for me as low gain). Thanks.

14. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I don't want anyone to think I was being negative with that statement. As Seegs pointed out it IS exactly what the Honey Bee was designed to do. It's a great character sound.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos