upgrading studio monitors

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by M. Glaviano, Mar 3, 2008.

1. M. Glaviano

M. Glaviano Member

Currently I am running a pair of ~20 year old Yamaha NS-10's and a pair of mid-quality stereo speakers in my studio monitor system. I bounce back and forth between these very different sounding speakers to tweak the mix. Then I burn a CD and try it on a good stereo. Then I go back to the studio. Then I subject my friends to it. Then back, etc.

I think that I could probably upgrade to some modern powered monitors (my monitor amp is also ancient and kind of funky) and seriously improve my studio.

Mackie HR824's used to receive good reviews. Now Mackie has gone to the "mark 2" version of these speakers. Does anyone have an opinion about these or other speakers in a similar price range?

Thanks,

Michael Glaviano
    Northern CO
    USA

2. louderock

louderock Member

I've used only NS-10's for years but just recently added a pair of Adam A7 speakers and absolutely love them. The guitars don't disappear like they do on most other monitors. Really great and the low end is good as well. About $1,000 per pair. Highly recommended.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

The A7's seem to be the ones to beat, in the $1K range.

If you've got more $, the Focal Solo 6BEs are quite an amazing thing.

Loudboy

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I love Focals. I have the Twin6's but I hear great things about the Solo's.

5. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I use Event ASP8's and love them.

6. elambo

elambo Member

I agree! :AOK

7. electron transl

electron transl Member

I've been using the JBL 4328P's for the past year. Can't believe the difference in my mixes. Gone are the days of testing on millions of speakers and finding drastically different experiences. Very accurate and the auto-setup is incredible.

8. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    :AOK switched to focals about a year ago, no regrets, truly an amazing monitor for the money, they sound more in the $3500 ballpark than in the $1700 ballpark. Greatest bang for the buck I've ever heard in monitors and I've heard lots!

9. camitchell

camitchell Member

10. guitonit

guitonit Member

Just opened the boxes on my BM5's yesterday. Have to agree, they sound amazing!!

Scott A.

11. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

I decided on Dynaudio BM6a's, but that's more than your budget. The BM5a's are much better IMHO than the Mackie stuff. Other than the BM6a, my other choice would have been the Focal Solo 6.

12. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

I'm not a big fan of the Mackies, the Adams and Dynas are some of my favs in that price range. A7s,P11, and P22s all sound really good to my ears.
    Monitors are very personal, I would demo some IN YOUR PLACE if possible.

Also, you could probably sell those ns10 for a good chunk of change. :)

13. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>I've been using the JBL 4328P's for the past year. Can't believe the difference in my mixes. Gone are the days of testing on millions of speakers and finding drastically different experiences. Very accurate and the auto-setup is incredible.<<

I bought a pair of these JBLs last year, and completely agree, I find they translate perfectly; not only to other small systems, and not only to my car, but even to the big $50K Genelec soffit mounted systems used in my company's audio post rooms.

Once you have the room set up, the degree to which one's mixes translate to other rooms and systems is very reassuring.

That said, I also love the Dynaudios in that $1K price range, and I would venture to guess that with the new IK Multimedia software that does similar things (who knows, maybe better), they'd be a very formidable system in terms of accuracy.

14. jmcloud

jmcloud Member

IMO, the HR824s are great for a somewhat small budget at about $600 a piece new. I would stay away from the Mark 2s though, as they tend to clip much easier than the originals. Do yourself a favor and find a pair, you'll love them.

15. M. Glaviano

M. Glaviano Member

Wow! Thanks, everyone for all the great replies. You have given me a lot to think about.

Best Regards,

Michael Glaviano
    Northern CO
    USA[/QUOTE]

16. hbentley

hbentley Member

we have some high end adams that sound fantastic. i've never heard the a7's though.

17. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

+1 on the Adam A7s. Great bang for the buck at $1k/pair.