Upgrading valves

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by UnseenBucket, Feb 25, 2012.

1. UnseenBucket

UnseenBucket Member

Ordered some JJ's, i just need help with cabs now..

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. Davidg1974

Davidg1974 Member

I would recommend JJs highly. If u ever compared them side by side with other new prduction tubes u would too.IF fuchs and aiken and other builders who care about the sound of their amps more than saving moneyuse them almost exclusively then it cant just be my ears and eyes.

3. Davidg1974

Davidg1974 Member

for what its worth I have had good dealings with Eurotubes and they were the first US supplier for JJ but some people dont like them. But I have never heard a legitimate complaint against them-seems to be the 10% of the people that can never be pleased.

4. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

While the right tube can help improve the sound, a better speaker will work wonders.

5. UnseenBucket

UnseenBucket Member

Done some research today and ordered some JJ valves.

Also had some thought on speakers, and decided it'll be better to find a cheap cab locally or something. However, a few questions about using a cab since I've never used one before. How will the amp react? I'm assuming it'll be louder, but will it have extra headroom? I know it's still a 5 watt amp but wasn't sure how it'd sound. Do I need a cab with specific impedance and power ratings? Can I just plug the amp straight into the cab? Sorry for dumb questions...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  6. Gearaddict

Gearaddict Member

I had a Champ 600 I modded with Mercury iron and various tone tweaks which included, tube replacements and a Weber replacement of the Fender 6" speaker, all useless and negligeable tone improvements.

The ONLY thing that was an improvement was plugging into a 1x12 speaker cab. The amp sounded huge.

7. dazco

dazco Member

depends on the particular type of tube. PRS and several other high end amps i've seen use no JJ's at all. They use SED, tungsol, EH and some NOS. I work in a capacity where i have a chance to look at and play a number of different amps and i see JJ's mostly in lower end amps. Thats not to say you're wrong. I'm sure some do, but it can't be used to make that point because it's just not the case to a large degree till you look at lower end stuff, but that says nothing about them, at least nothing good.

personally the only JJ i feel is the best current production or at least right up there is the 6V6. Well, maybe the EL84 too because there aren't a lot to choose from today and the JJ's are fine.