Upright Bass Setup Specs?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jazzguitar14, Feb 23, 2015.

1. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

Anybody have a good recipe for upright setup?

Its been at least 10 years since Ive done one. Ill be cutting the bridge tomorrow and Ive looked all over and cant find any notes in my files. So, if you have any clutch action numbers for a bow and pluck setup Im all ears.

I make a living doing violin work, but (thankfully) don't see to many basses... I can wing it but some target numbers would be a big time saver and help.

A Very Gracious Thank You,
    Andrew

2. dotmkr

dotmkr Member

Hi Andrew
    For orchestra you will arch the bridge top a bit more than for jazz. as for string height, I like to go about 8-9 mm for E and 4-5 for G. The top of the bridge is 4.5mm thick at the edge. also focus on the nut. It is critical and almost seems too low when done right. You should only be able to fit a business card between the strings and the fingerboard at the nut. As for the fingerboard, some are cambered so a Gut string will not buzz. Now with steel strings there need not be so much camber. You can shoot the board if the customer wants to get it really playing well.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i was getting ready to come on here and tell you that you're totally in the wrong place, that you need to ask this question over on the upright section of talkbass, and here comes @dotmkr with some legit knowledge!

4. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

Thanks Dotmkr, this is a big help.

Its so much better to have a target before you pull the trigger...

Best Wishes Gentelmen

5. dotmkr

dotmkr Member

You are welcome, good luck with it. The player will really appreciate it.