UPS adjustment not good for shipping guitars

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by blynn894, May 6, 2016.

1. blynn894

blynn894 Supporting Member

I got an email from UPS stating that, where they used to charge an additional $10.50 charge to any package that had any side longer than 60 inches, they have now lowered that length to 48 inches.

Typically even a small guitar box is gonna be in the 50-52 inch range. Shipping a guitar is gonna get even more expensive :(

Unless you unscrew the neck I guess

Simon likes this.
  2. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

Not surprised. I get a notice every December notifying me that they are raising prices by 4.9%. Every freakin' year, like clockwork. This has been going on at least since year 2000 when I first started using them commercially.

Wish I got a 5% raise every year. And their costs are going down!

MrLahey likes this.
  3. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

An extra $10 on my purchase of $1000+?

That does it--no more guitars for me.

4. blynn894

blynn894 Supporting Member

I'm looking at it from the sellers perspective in offering free shipping, which I usually do. And I don't delve into the +$1000 scene, so.....

5. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Just...raise your price $10? All your competitions in the same boat--how cheap does the guitar have to be before the seller balks at an extra $10?

6. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Where I ship from offers UPS, FedEx and USPS. FedEx is always the cheapest. You even have to pay extra with UPS to have it signed for, FedEx is automatic.

7. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Price goes up, quality of service stays at the same stellar level :anon

sanrico likes this.
  8. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

What percentage of buyers doesn't try to talk you down on price, even when you're super competitive to start with?

I listed about 15 pedals on Reverb last month. I looked up the going price for the same pedals on both Reverb and eBay and went $5-10 lower than the lowest price I could find. I wanted them to move, so I undercut everyone. And I STILL got people berating me for not knocking more off (with me already picking up PP and shipping). I was already the cheapest, and I was covering all the incidentals - the price listed was the price you paid to get it to your door, Priority. You couldn't get it cheaper and I *still* got beat up.

"Will you take $20 less for it?"
    "It's the cheapest you'll find and I'm picking up shipping and PP"
    "You could still knock a few bucks off, I'm looking for a deal."
    "sorry, it's already the best deal"
    "you cheap blahblahblah"

So I disagree on the 'just raise your price' idea. In theory it works, in practice so many buyers are total bottom-feeders who want it for free.

dougb415, blynn894 and Lucidology like this.
  9. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

actually, i just use buy it now

Madsen likes this.
  10. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

It works...as long as you get your price. And if you don't, then the price was out of line with demand.
    People whining at you about wanting a discount is apparently a constant, but how long does it take to delete or respond "Thanks, no"?
    Pedals I see as a different problem than guitars, because the cost of shipping is larger percentage of the sale price, and the genesis of this thread was an additional $10 on guitar-sized packages.

11. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Yeah ... thats why I'm coming up with package deals as I'm getting ready for a bunch of new Reverb.Com listings ...
    Found that compensates somewhat... at least it works for me.

12. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I get better deals from FedEx, and sometimes even USPS. I rarely use UPS anymore. Overpriced, slow, incompetent.

Jon C and dougb415 like this.
  13. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Is that true ... can you give an example ... FedEx over UPS... Really!?!
    You've got my curiosity up big time ...

14. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Have you tried selling anything in the Emporium lately? You don't raise your prices, you *eat* that extra ten dollars. Or you do like I do - ship guitars via USPS. I've found it best to ship guitars and pedals via USPS, and amps via FedEx. UPS was just too expensive for me.

15. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

No, I sell locally or via Reverb.

And like many have said before, if the piece is sitting there with no-one buying it, garnering only offers below your asking price, your price is too high.

16. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

For what I send it is (guitars, large heavy items). Get a FedEx account and the discounts are pretty good. Comparison shop, their websites are pretty easy to use to get an idea of pricing.

17. dougb415

dougb415 Member

So if your price is too high, you really can't add another $10 to it. Not only do you have to lower your price, you have to eat that extra $10 as well. I may have to try reverb - I sell my stuff here with free shipping, my prices are always better than the same gear on reverb, and usually there is an extra cost for postage at reverb. For example, I may have a guitar for sale here for $375 w/ free shipping. On reverb the same guitar (from a different seller) is $380 + $40 shipping.

blynn894 likes this.
  18. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Another convert over to FedEx - Post Office is okay for small stuff, UPS used to rule for guitars, but not anymore. Bonus: FedEx has the BEST tracking.

19. sanrico

sanrico Member

FedEx. With a membership, it's great.