UPS is a nightmare and I will never use them for anything ever again.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by wichita, Feb 28, 2015.

1. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Charles Whitfill and I arranged for overnight shipping from his shop to Austin so that my new guitar would arrive Friday (yesterday) and be used on the new record that we start Monday morning.

UPS Showed the guitar to be in Austin Thursday night and out for delivery yesterday.

Austin is a little cold, and a bit rainy but the streets yesterday were dry as a bone.

I waited ALL Day... 8pm comes and goes and they mark is as "Pending delivery due to Weather Emergency"

Now I have been placed on hold this morning and "accidentally disconnected" twice having gone through the whole automated system twice.

Their center is not open for public pickup on Saturday.

I am now on hold with the first person who has been able to speak and understand English of the 3 I have spoken to and they are seeing if they can make an exception and deliver my package today... now granted the overnight shipping for FRIDAY delivery cost 200.00.....

USE FEDEX.. For the love of God... lets use FEDEX.

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Have Charles demand a shipping refund on your behalf. You either get what you pay for or you don't.

3. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

My amp was "Out For Delivery" last Tuesday. Two guys on the outside of a truck came and picked up my garbage, seems like one guy on the inside of a truck could deliver my amp, but NOOO. "Weather emergency". So it bounced around on one of their trucks for a couple of days then it showed up smashed.

Nice.

4. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

It was a parking lot yesterday - sheesh - I had weather delayed stuff coming and going. Hey it's winter :dunno

5. wichita

Guys Charles is awesome and went above and beyond.

If my thing was at DFW I would understand but it is and was in Austin Thursday night our for delivery yesterday. Yesterday was dry as a bone... Unless they classify "I'm cold and don't want to go out today" as a weather emergency...

6. Mayo5

Mayo5 Supporting Member

You can try to get a refund, I don't think you will get a full refund but you should be able to get a partial refund. I can't view the tracking number to see any reasons for it besides what you posted.

Fedex would have had the same problems in your area. From my understanding, is that Texas much like any other place in that region or in the south, can not handle snow/ice at all.

7. handsomenate

handsomenate Supporting Member

That sucks. Ive had some big problems with UPS but ive also had some big problems with Fed ex so there really is no winner there imo. Makes me wonder, there has to be a better more reliable option out there when shipping high dollar instruments.

8. wichita

NOOOO
    The point is the guitar was tracked as being IN AUSTIN on Thursday night.
    There is ZERO ICE AND Snow here... ZERO.

9. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    I work for UPS and I delivered packages yesterday in blowing snow (some would say blizzard conditions) with 5" or so on the ground. I slid off the roadway once and into the bar ditch and drove in the bottom of that bar ditch gunning it for about 1/2 of a mile until I could make it back up onto the roadway. I drove like that in order not to get stuck and stranded and have a package car full of peoples's items that wouldn't get delivered (I really, really didn't want to be stuck in the bottom of a ditch though too!)
    My feet and lower pants legs were soaking wet from trudging to people's houses and getting into a truck that refused to blow warm air into the floorboard and they did not feel warm again until about 9:00 p.m. last night at home....
    So the "I'm cold and don't want to go out today" reason you give for a weather delay doesn't really cut it with UPS. I know that of which I speak.:banana

10. BigSB

BigSB Member

I had an item coming from South Carolina. It scanned in NC, then for some stupid reason was marked delayed by weather even though it only sat in NC for two hours. It arrived in my home state, about an hour from my home, on the day it was supposed to be delivered. It scanned there at 7 am. Ups said they could not place a pickup hold on it while it sat there. it took 12 hours for the ups center there to unload the truck and send my package to the hub not 20 minutes from me, where it will sit until Monday night. The person I spoke to on the phone barely spoke English and simply robotically read their script from a screen.

Useless. I would recommend FedEx every time.

11. wichita

I wish you were my delivery guy. You would have been dry.. and I would have my guitar :)
    All good...
    I am just frustrated as I can't get anyone who speaks English to pick up the phone.

12. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    no problem :D I know your frustration! I'm having a guitar delivered today here at my house and it snowed another 3 or 4 inches last night and guess who is doing the delivering? You guessed it. FedEx :bow props to those guys!

13. AD

AD Supporting Member

For couriers, it depends on your area, location and the drivers themselves. I use USPS and FedEx mostly. I shipped a guitar Canada Post/USPS on Monday from Toronto (at a cool -15F temperature) and the buyer had it in his hands on the Wednesday: 2 days and 40% cheaper than the other couriers. It seems that lately, Canada Post and USPS have responded to the competition and are providing a better service.

14. wichita

The funny one is that if someone ships something to me via USPS that is bigger than a letter the delivery driver won't even attempt the delivery. They just leave a note in the mailbox. and run.. :)

15. NormH3

NormH3 Member

You really can't compare UPS and FEDEX. UPS delivers ~16 million packages a day where FEDEX delivers ~4 million. This data is several years old. FEDEX makes mistakes to. I recently purchased a VHT head that was shipped FEDEX. I live in an apartment that has direct access to the outdoors.....ie my front door opens to out side...no inside hallways. I was home the day that the FEDEX person delivered. He left the box by my front door and never even knocked first. It was a Saturday.

16. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Let's get real here. The OP will use UPS again and it's not like it was a kidney transplant delivery or something. It's guitar stuff. Life goes on. Stop freaking whining.

17. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

Welcome to the world of "efficiency", where your package that has to go across town actually has to travel and/or be handled or dealt with by people many hours away from you! I don't think UPS is any different than USPS or others in that regard, unfortunately. Weather events for anyone in that chain of people who have to do something with your package can mess you up.

I had a car part take two weeks to get to me from the east coast during the bad weather thay had some weeks back. The package and my location where just fine weather wise, but along the way it had to be routed into the bad weather zone--where it sat not moving for days.

18. NormH3

NormH3 Member

We can bitch and complain all we want about the "Hub and Spoke" model, but it's what keeps cost's reasonable. Airlines use the same model. I'm not sure why people don't understand that.

19. Brutus

Brutus Member

I was a mailman for years. You're playing my song. Exchanged waves with a lot of you guys. I never thought competitors as much as I did band of brothers. We had one guy who had a goat roaming the front yard of a house he delivered to. It would wait patiently until he delivered the package to the porch and then walk up to him and nibble on his ass until he made it back to the truck. But ... they got their mail.

20. newking70

newking70 Member

well ups should have a better network to handle their packages. did you request a signature for your package? of course he's just going to leave it.