UPS Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bxlxaxkxe, Dec 5, 2017.

1. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

How can a package (a guitar) be "Out for Delivery" at 9am, and then be delayed at 12 pm due to "operating conditions" three days in a row? I'm dying. Anyone have insight into this. Is this a way of saying "we're super busy, sorry we can't get to you" or what? Package was set to be delivered last Friday. Delayed to Monday. Then delayed to today. Now being delayed until tomorrow after being out for delivery. What is the deal? Worst of all, the system won't let me change the delivery to "pick up at a UPS location." I just don't get it.

2. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

Did you call UPS? Sometimes the people on the phone have more insight than the web page.

C-4 likes this.
  3. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Silver Supporting Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    There are a few up here that have or had worked in the shipping industry that might be able to chime in, but I agree: spend some time on the phone and see if you get answers or get pissed off.......

4. bxlxaxkxe

Maybe I'm too stupid but I can't find a way to actually talk to somebody. Their whole system is automated with no option of speaking to an actual person. Our UPS guy just came in to my workplace so I asked him about it and the bottom line was "We're super busy and behind on everything." I mean look I get it, it's a really busy time of year for that industry. Let me come pick it up and make your life a little easier- that's what Ive always done. But I guess they're too busy to let me even do that. The wait for NGD is just crushing my soul and at this point I'm losing excitement, which is being replaced by frustration and apathy.

This really doesn't need a thread but I'm hoping someone in the industry can at least explain why it's happening like this. Why put it on a truck for delivery and then say it can't be delivered long before the working day is over?

derekd likes this.
  5. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I always change my UPS deliveries to be held at the center so I can pick them up at my convenience. If you’re not able to do that online, get the tracking number, call 800-742-5877, keep saying “agent” until you get a real person on the phone and tell them to have it held at the center.

6. jdogric12

jdogric12 Supporting Member

Several people I know (myself included) here locally have had UPS issues like this over the last week or two. I think they must have some serious problems going on, like they didn't realize the holiday rush would begin as soon as it did, or they didn't get enough seasonal help, or something.

derekd likes this.
  7. wmachine

wmachine Member

"Crushing your soul"??????? I don't think I'm alone in saying that it should take a whole lot more than a late delivery to crush a soul. If you think that is soul crushing, then you should walk in some other shoes, like mine. I would think you should be grateful that you have one coming at all. I don't mean to put you down, I simply mean put your chin up where it should be!

8. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

Even doing that takes about 40 minutes... used to be a website called 'getreal' or something that had the fastest routes through phone trees for talking to a live person. Is that still a thing?

Found it: Gethuman.com

Cruciform likes this.
  9. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Silver Supporting Member

they are swamped on volume right now. I had a guitar I bought on Black Friday that took ten days to go from New York to Maine.

USPS is in the same boat. I haven't had anything I bought or shipped Priority in the past couple weeks that's made it where it's supposed to be in less than five days.

derekd likes this.
  10. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

Another "OiRogers Tip for Talking to Customer Service at Big Faceless Co." (TM and stuff...): Choose "Spanish"... CS isn't farmed out overseas and you'll be talking to someone in the states that is bilingual at the worst. Generally, they're native English speakers that also know Spanish.

johnkoz, Brian N and bxlxaxkxe like this.
  11. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

They are busy. Last Friday night at 6 PM my door bell rang. It was my mailman leaving my mail at the front door. He usually runs just after noon.

12. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

I had a similar experience with a cabinet we ordered. I finally called the retailer who got a hold of UPS and lo and behold it was lost in their system somewhere in the San Pablo distribution center. The retailer sent me a replacement via Fedex, to my knowledge the original shipment never surfaced.

13. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

Same boat: bought a guitar on Nov 20, shipped Nov 21, showed out for delivery last Wednesday then scanned back in at 10pm for delivery next day. Out for delivery Thursday then scanned back in at 10pm. Out for delivery Friday...it requires a signature and I worked from home each day. Finally got fed up and had the seller route it to the local UPS store.

Still hasn’t been delivered and it’s been 13 working days not inc Thanksgiving to get from NY to CA. Total time on hold trying to call UPS- 3 hours. Finally got someone who said the package is lost. Seller swears UPS has located it and will reroute to UPS store. UPS is reportedly having huge issues in certain areas...totally unacceptable and I feel your pain

jblake likes this.
  14. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

The trucks are packed in the early A.M. After which, a driver might be assigned a helper (2nd person to run the packages for you), or you might not; having a runner speeds things up. Also, your business pickups in the A.M. may increase after the truck is packed, greatly delaying the P.M. home deliveries. So, at the time your guitar is put on the truck, there's a good chance it'll get to you outside a non-heavy season, but as the variables of the day increase the driver's load during the holiday season, you're screwed. One day it'll be down to a science, just not during Xmas season now.

Former UPS programmer, runner for one day; let me tell you, for an obese programmer, running packages is hell. I'm lucky to be alive.

CJReaper and bxlxaxkxe like this.
  15. BK Verbs

BK Verbs Gold Supporting Member

Exact same thing happened to me today with my CME 335. Now tracking says delivery tomorrow. A lot of delivery issues with UPS in the past couple of weeks, this happened a lot with my wife's clothing purchases. UPS appears to be woefully understaffed and less than prepared this holiday season. Great for them that they are so busy I guess, too bad they can't handle the volume.

USPS has been great for me this season. Sold some stuff on Ebay and everything arrived within 2 business days and without any delay.

16. -CM-

-CM- Something Clever Here Silver Supporting Member

This. All of my packages from UPS and USPS have been late lately.

17. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

+1. everybody seems crushed and everything is taking much longer to arrive. This is what happens with all this online shopping !

18. bxlxaxkxe

For sure. But when you combine "signature required" without giving me the option to pick up from a location- I'm screwed. I keep thinking I need to take a half day off work. Our Fedex guy just dropped off some stuff at work and I asked him about it and he said plain and simple- you can't trust the tracking info online. Everything is just too chaotic.

19. memberzonly

memberzonly Supporting Member

Had a few delayed packages this past week. Annoying but they arrived undamaged.

Forest for the trees....

ellsworthman likes this.
  20. Mildwest

Mildwest Supporting Member

My package has been sitting in Jacksonville with an arrival scan since 12/1 it’s originally scheduled delivery date. No scans since. No one at UPS seems to know where it is and I am starting to get really annoyd. Not acceptable for a $3,000 purchase.