UPS rant...why even bother with a box?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by chrisgraff, May 31, 2008.

1. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

As soon as I saw this box, I grabbed my camera...no way an amp could survive, riding in a box like that. It sounded as if it was rolling around in there. Sure enough, the packing material consisted of...(count 'em), two pieces of versa pack, and two pieces of brown paper!! I took these pictures as I was opening the box. What you're seeing is exactly how the amp traveled. The last picture shows every last bit of packing material. :jo

Miraculously, the amp fires up and seems to be working fine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cmr415

cmr415 Member

Yea, dont even get me started. Shipping companies treat items like crap, tossing them around, and cry foul when we actually file a claim. I have seen UPS physically throw packages over fences and out of the truck and drive away.

3. C-Dawg

C-Dawg Member

Thats hardcore man, look how those preamp tube pins are all bent outa shape. That amp had a rough ride!

4. KazJY

KazJY Member

unreal.

I had a book from bn.com get lost for a few days - it finally showed up at my house after a week and a half - and there were TIRE TRACKS on the package! Nothing amazes me anymore with these companies. I could see the truck sitting on top of my package...

Glad your amp is working, at the least.

5. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

Same thing happened to me.... with a Flying V.

6. benjammin

benjammin Member

Note to self: Never use UPS to ship my golf clubs!

7. albuht813

albuht813 Member

Who is the MORON that shipped that box packed like that??

The seller owes you some new tubes.

8. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

The seller needs a swift kick in the nuts and a lesson from Mark over at Victoria about how to properly pack an amp.

9. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Yes, seller problem more than UPS. UPS wants you to pack to survive 3 foot drop to cement. Just do it. Double box, standoffs, bubble wrap, foam board, peanuts (I know, but they really are better at taking shock...).

DS

10. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

Actually, UPS packed it. I've always heard UPS won't honor claims unless you use their packing/box. The hub in Nashville does a great job, special boxes, etc. I do always watch them pack it, though. The seller just dropped off the amp and left.

11. emjee

emjee Member

I cant see how UPS is the bad guy here AT ALL. I would be all OVER the seller. The second picture shows the whole story. UPS shouldnt be held responsible for the damage that results from that kind of slipshod packing job. I cant imagine what was going thru the sellers mind? (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on that last statement). I would not be surprised in the least if UPS denied that claim.

MG

12. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

If "UPS" packed it I think it really means "UPS store franchise" packed it. They should be held responsible. Our local UPS store franchises know better, however...if anything, they overdo and over charge for overdoing it.

DS

13. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

That is a joke of a packing job.

14. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Definately the fault of the UPS packer. Hope it was insured for the full amount.

15. chaz

chaz Member

Whoever packed that was totally clueless, or just plain didn't care. That is sad. It is amazing that it survived!

16. Noah

Noah Member

If UPS packed that I'd file a claim for damages. Get an estimate from a music store on repairing the cosmetic damages and new tubes at least. That's one of the worst packing jobs I've ever seen.

17. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Gotta laugh at this thread.
    First up, it's a MESA amp, and true to Randall Smith's promise, you can treat it like ****, drop it off a truck and it will still work fine.
    Did the truck even slow down as it dropped it off ??

I had a Reccy shipped by a Pack'n'send company in Australia. It was goign to take an extra week to come, so I called and asked why. They said it was waiting for a special "delicate items" truck. I said , just send it.
    They did, but when it turned up, I was amazed. They had charged $40 packing to wrap one sheet, yes, one single sheet of bubble wrap around it and a single thin sheet of cardboard across the chequer-plate at the front. No box, no padding or packing of any kind. The seller would have freaked if he knew it was sent like that.
    The amp in this thread is a cossetted baby compared to that.
    The amp was fine though, MESA amps really are as tough as they say.

18. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

UPS, Fedex, USPS, DHL; I am sure just about anyone on here has had some sort of unfortunate incident with the big name shipping companies. It is unfortunate, but it is a reality. Bottom line is that no one is going to care for a package containing an amp anymore than a package containing a set of frying pans.
    I would have more of a problem with the shipper. That is the epitome of a half-a** packing job. Where is the word FRAGILE written on the box? I don't see it....

19. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Don't blame UPS for this, blame the numbskull who packed it like that.
    That amp was way underpacked.

20. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I'm shocked it works with that poor packing. I mean, wow. I had 5.25 inches on my Studio 15 and it came out much worse. I'd go get it checked by an amp tech to make sure. Sometimes cold solder joint issues don't show up immediately...surfacing a week to two weeks later.