UPS strikes again, can I fix this?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by pfrischmann, Jun 12, 2006.

1. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hi guys,
    I just got a speaker cab from a guy. He packed it really well but UPS managed to seperate the magnet from the speaker. (original Black back celestion) For the most part the magnet came off clean except for one small part about the size of a quarter that stayed on the speaker.

Is this faxable or do I have to deal with UPS (dread)

Thanks,
    Paul

2. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I think I know now why they pronounce UPS "oops". :(
    I've be surprised if the voice coil isn't damaged on that thing.

3. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

you could email ted weber.. if any one could it would be weber vst. My local guy couldnt/wouldn't recone a shifted mag on an orig 64 oxford 12 I had.

4. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Yeah, It's dead. It turns out the magnets hare held in place with rivets. the rivets are attached from the front. You have to pull out the cone to do this. Essentially it's scrap iron or will become a very expensive g-12m reissue. Not sure which is worse.

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Check your email, Paul. And you'd better check the other three speakers. When I bought that "Bass" cab last year, it came in with shipping damage. It had four G12M's in it. Two had shifted magnets that froze the cones and they had to have their magnets re-centered, and needed to be reconed as well.

And they didn't have their magnets detached by force, so I think it's a real possibility that you have damage to all four speakers.

Sorry...

6. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Thanks Jim,
    Let me ask you something.....I was planning on removing the broken speaker and putting in an emi Private Jack (I know but I have one around)

I then plan on taking my 100w marshall super lead and pummeling the cab (attenuater on one click for safety.

If I put it through my regular regimen and it sounds O.K......am I good?

Thanks.
    Paul