UPS to apply surcharges to residential packages

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by omahaaudio, Feb 4, 2015.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

2. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

UPS screws the pooch by taking on extra workers and equipment for an anticipated surge in holiday business that didn't materialize. Now to recoup increased "costs" of doing business which they admit were due to their mistaken forecast they'll be charging higher fees to the customer.

Makes perfect sense in the ever-more-f#*ked-up world of doing business in America.

Have to wonder if bonuses or other compensation to the executive oracles were reduced.

3. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

Wonder how that will effect Amazon Prime?

And why a "surcharge"? Why not just increase the rate across the board? Or is it mostly to disincentivize services like Prime by charging them more?

4. oldlefty

oldlefty Member

Hidden in the fee structure. If they didn't tell us we'd never even know. Fat, dumb, happy, out the money.

5. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

"These pricing strategies will be designed to ensure we are properly compensated for the value we provide," Abney said.

For the Samsonite Gorilla-like handling of packages with nary a damage claim paid out. UPS still leads the pack in being the most head-up-their ass about things.
    How about fuel costs being half of what they were last year? Does that count? Screw U, PS!

6. retroLS1

retroLS1 Supporting Member

I noticed this when shipping some pedals etc. from eBay. We ship UPS at my work and I can ship stuff from here and pay for it and I noticed an increase. Had to ship a wah pedal out to MT and what usually would have cost around $14-15 was close to $20. I ended up taking the drive to USPS and using a flat rate box for $12.65.

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

For small goods like pedals, etc., Priority Mail is tough to beat. It's far less expensive, delivered in a couple days and the box is free.

8. Devnor

Devnor Member

This is not news. UPS has always assessed a residential delivery surcharge for the majority of shippers. You can see the upcharge in Worldship when you select the option. If you don't, it just gets added to your bill :) This "news" is about the Amazons where UPS has cut deals and now they need to recoup their losses.

9. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I gave up using UPS for most shipments quite some time ago. FedEx or USPS here ...

10. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

Great. Shipping becomes prohibitive, GC and all other stores go out of business.
    Great cure for G.A.S. at least!

And everything you own becomes "a keeper"!

11. bob-i

bob-i Member

Oh good, I can now pay extra to have the UPS man toss a package at my front door where it will be stolen 2 minutes later by the guy following the brown truck.

12. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

UPS is now using dimensional weight on all size packages. I work at a UPS STORE as a Saturday gig for extra money and noticed over the last few weeks the average ground price is clearly up.

13. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Fedex has had a similar surcharge for a long time.

14. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Perhaps, but they are more often on time and haven't lost or broken any packages, the surcharge (or lack of it) is not why I fired UPS. :cool:

15. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

They use dimensional weight or actual weight, whichever is higher.
    Also, as mentioned earlier they've already been charging more for residential deliveries.

16. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

If you place a pedal in a box (or wrap it really well in bubble wrap) you can use the flat rate Priority envelope and ship it just about anywhere in the US for $5 (if shipping via eBay or Paypal).

17. Devnor

Devnor Member

My company ships millions of dollars of sensitive instruments every year. In the last 10 years I've been here, we had one item fall out of its box due to substandard packing by the shipper. UPS found it the next day. Most issues are the result of home gamers: inadequate packing materials & tape, labeling, shipping without signatures required and recipients that are not home or unable to answer the door when their $2000+ guitar is delivered.