Upstairs Isolation

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Boxnix, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Boxnix

Boxnix Member

My wife and I are looking for a house. One of our main considerations is space to put my gear and recording equipment.

My intention is to build a room inside the room to really isolate it from the timbers of the house so my vast flows of creative genius will not be interrupted by "the look" ever again.

I told her I need a small room or study on the ground floor. Well that just won't do. It simply must be upstairs. My guess is that this is going to be too expensive to isolate but I thought I would ask.

2. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

Floating a room inside anything but a large-ish room seems pretty impractical. Any kind of real isolation tends to be expensive from a construction standpoint, and even that may not be effective enough to keep you from getting "the look".

3. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I've seen it done. It was cool because when you would walk across it, it tilted a little. The isolation was necessary because the studio was 50' from a highway and tire vibration would find its way to the mics otherwise.

When you build it, make sure that there are no parallel walls and dry wall the whole thing. You'll be amazed at the sound of it. You will then need to seek out low power amps no greater than 18 watts and likely 3-5 will be more than enough in it.

4. Bussman

Bussman Member

I use dummy loads to record and play completely silently. I still get "the look", not because it's too loud, but because I spend way too much time in there playing. You can't escape "the look" bro'.