Urban Guitars

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by FlyingDutchman, May 2, 2015.

1. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

What do you guys think? Better than Esteban...right?

http://www.hsn.com/shop/urban-guitar-collection/11385

Eric Chaz from Eric's guitar shop in Van Nuys gave it his approval. Could HSN being turning a corner with these things? Actually looks pretty good. According to Keith Urban, each one takes 3 months to make.

[​IMG]

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Had a student come in with a black Urban acoustic last month. Never said what he paid for it, but it was a good student level guitar. All plywood, so it clearly isn't going to sound like one with a solid top, but it was easy to play, stayed in tune, and seemed to be decent construction.

Be interesting to see what it looks like after a year or two.

3. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

Thats too bad that its all plywood. They showed a video on the informercial of it being built, and there it looked like it was made of solid wood.

4. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

My thought is that Urban is simply reviving the old Oscar Schmidt business model. Schmidt gave you a guitar free when you signed up for his mail order music lessons. The goal, of course, was to sell the lessons. I believe this is the same deal. The guitar is essentially a freebie meant only to entice you to buy the DVDs which is where the money is being made.

5. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

A girl at work came in all excited one morning. Apparently Urban was brought in to perform at one of her husband's work functions. Urban was playing one of the electrics and I guess they had a drawing or something. Anyway, she won the guitar, which Urban signed.

It's cool and all, and if it made her happy, that's all that matters. But she was talking it up like it was a bigger deal than it was. She even told me she's pretty sure they're made by Gibson. I didn't have the heart to correct her...I let her have her moment.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

He gives away a signed one at all of his concerts.

The current guitars are described as having either an agathis or mahogany body, not plywood. They mentioned this on the video presentation as well (I caught part of it one night when I couldn't sleep). I think they're a step above the Estaban guitars they used to sell.

The things is that there are a lot of guitars in the $400 price range than are much better. Just look at what you can get from Rondo, GFS, Epiphone and Squier. You'll even find just as good or even better ones in the $100-200 price range. And, like all guitars in the low end, most will need some degree of setup work to put them into good playing shape. Plus, some percentage will be defective.

7. iluvfender

iluvfender Member

Capitalizing on American Idol. Randy Jackson did same thing . Strike while the iron's hot

8. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

The Urban guitars will end up side by side with the Estebans in the Goodwill store.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

they're better than the estebans, which is damning them with faint praise.

+1 to @bgmacaw's point, you can find much better quality in a music store for a similar price.

Last edited: May 18, 2015