Urge to buy a new amp....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JimH, Apr 21, 2008.

1. JimH

JimH Member

why does this happen when you're happy with the one you've got? For the first time in ages, probably because I've got quite a few gigs coming up I'm getting interested in a new amp - for no good reason - other than a change... Is it just inevitable? I really thought I'd broken out of that cycle as I've tried loads of stuff - one or two things pretty much hit the spot and I stick with them. It'll only lead to financial ruin - yet it's there in my head.

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

Jim,
    I know EXACTLY where you're coming from. We are just addicted to getting new amps. Doesn't matter how perfect the ones we have are, the outcome is the same.
    I cope with it by buying a new amp when I get the inescapable urge, but making a promise to my wife that one amp will also be sold. It's a "one in, one out" policy. Don't lose too much that way. The amps I sell are always immaculate as well, because I never manage to keep them that long, so they always get a reasonable price.
    I don't know what the solution to it all is. I've vowed my latest amp (Ceriatone Plexi 50W) will the last one for a very long while. I only got it last week, so I'm safe for a while. But I know myself too well to think that I can last too long without getting "the urge".

3. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

This is also what I struggle with- my logical side tells me that I already have great amps. But I keep thinking that there is something better or different that will make me enjoy playing even more. It's also difficult to fight that urge when so many people on this forum are talking about new and great amps.

4. Dave L

Dave L Member

Every time I tell one of my bandmates that I´m thinking about buying another amp, ever since I bought my Rivera K55, they wonder why and tell me that I can´t possibly find anything that sounds better than what I have now. After listening to me playing thru dozens of nice amps over ten years I have started to value their opinion... and it´s gonna save me alot of money over the long haul! They really keep the worst of the random GAS away.

5. JimH

JimH Member

Thanks guys definitely not alone it seems! So ride it out or give in?

6. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

Depends.....what amps do you have now, and what do you want to get?

7. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

Give in. Here's how I see (rationalize) it: Other guys have other hobbies. Like motorcycles or golf or flying planes. When you do the math, those are all way more expensive in the long run. Like one of our brethren above, I follow, more or less, the "one in / one out" policy. Here's how bad I am about it -- I told my wife the other week after playing at church that I was "really, really happy" with how my guitar sounded. She responded, "Well, that's the kiss of death. So long, amp." I laughed, "Oh, not this time."

I have since purchased two more amps. I am posting one of them for sale today. And yes, an upcoming gig has been the impetus.

I'm sick, but I don't want to get well! This is way too much fun!

8. clarkram

clarkram Member

I gave up on trying to rationalize this behavior. It seems that I get "tired" of an amp after 3 years or so and just want to try something new.

Since I usually have 4 or 5 amps around at any given time this means I get to rotate something in the lineup about once every 18 months:D

9. JimH

JimH Member

Well I've got a Cornell plexi20 and romany - which are basically PTP Marshall plexi 20W and 10W Fender combo type amps. - Both very basic. I want something different - probably a combo, with reverb, possibly 2 channels, tube rec maybe in the vox/matchless camp. Which I guess fills the big three gap...?

she knows you too well but great she takes an interest!

10. ssk

ssk Member

I think I'm getting the same disease. I've owned about every guitar you could ever buy. Just when I stopped buying guitars (I haven't bought a new one in about a year), I'm starting to get the bug for new amps. I'm even looking at pedals now. I've never been an amp or pedal guy. Oh well. It looks like fun. The only thing keeping me from buying something here on the forum now is that there's about 20 amps I'd like to buy & I can't make up my mind.

SK

11. Dave

Dave Member

Because amps are freakin' cool and there's lots of great ones to be had.

If I were a rich man I would have an impressive guitar collection, for sure, but I would go absolutely nuts on amps.

If it makes you happy and you can afford it, by all means, buy another amp.:BEER

12. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

It's called GAS, and it is fatal. But don't fret, you are amongst many other infected people!

13. JimH

JimH Member

At least you know yourself well enough to know.... I guess it's just variety being the spice of life and all that. Like eating the same food every day or whatever.

14. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

We need a 12-step program for amp addiction..

15. JimH

JimH Member

My name's Jim and I've not bought an amp since 2005....

...maybe it was 2004.