Urgent wiring question (simple)

stratter

I'm looking at regular SD wiring diagrams, and I see that it doesn't even show the ground on the claw, but it shows that the ground is on the output jack lug. So if I follow this diagram, do I even need to worry about the tremolo claw to ground it, or is it just the jack. I've know that if you have two different ground points, it creates a ground loop. Any help?

Jason_77

Ground the trem claw. Otherwise it will buzz when you take your hands off the strings.

StratoCraig

Ground the trem claw. Otherwise it will buzz when you take your hands off the strings.
No, otherwise it will buzz even your hands are on the strings. The whole point of grounding the claw is to ground YOU when you touch the strings.

Mr. Mukuzi O

the term ground loop is more relevant when electrical items are connected to different phases in a house/bar/studio etc.
the potential between the two separate grounds causes the hum.
a guitar only has one ground, the cable going to the amp going to the Ground or earth connection.

stratter

the term ground loop is more relevant when electrical items are connected to different phases in a house/bar/studio etc.
the potential between the two separate grounds causes the hum.
a guitar only has one ground, the cable going to the amp going to the Ground or earth connection.
So I wouldn't ground to the claw in the sake that it's already grounded to the jack?

StratoCraig

So I wouldn't ground to the claw in the sake that it's already grounded to the jack?
No, the claw is only grounded if you have it wired to ground (usually the back of the volume pot). I think Mr. Mukuzi O is just saying that a guitar only has one path out to ground -- through the jack.

Mr. Mukuzi O

the claw needs to be attached by a wire to the earth on the back of a vol or tone pot as others have stated above. the vol/tone/switch will be connected to the earth at the output jack.
the trem is attached to the wood, strings attached to the trem dude playing attached to the strings via the fingertips.
the trem needs to be electrically coupled to the earthing point as the trem is insulated by the wood

stratter

No, the claw is only grounded if you have it wired to ground (usually the back of the volume pot). I think Mr. Mukuzi O is just saying that a guitar only has one path out to ground -- through the jack.
Wait, so I would follow the diagram and add a wire to the trem claw on the volume pot?

cardinal

Wait, so I would follow the diagram and add a wire to the trem claw on the volume pot?
Yes. Just follow whatever diagram you want but also add a wire from the back of the volume pot to the trem claw.

Everyone is agreeing that you should do that.

StratoCraig

Yes, you still need the wire to the claw.

Your guitar has only one path to ground -- via the input jack. But everything else that's metal, plus the guitarist, needs to have a way to get to the input jack in order to be grounded. The back of the volume pot is wired directly to the input jack's ground, so we usually add more wires to connect everything else to the back of the volume pot. The claw is one of the things that need this connection. Once the claw is grounded, the trem, the strings, and the musician are grounded too, because the claw connects to the trem springs, which are connected to the trem block, which is connected to the strings, and the musician is touching the strings when he plays. So all these things are grounded, which is what you want.

megawzrd

Silver Supporting Member
Wire the claw to ground. Usually it is on the volume pot since it is closest, and for wire length minimization/asthetics. But it can be wired on any available ground, i.e. tone posts, jack.

The instructions with the diagram assume you are only replacing/desoldering the pickups. It assumes you left the factory existing ground to the claw hooked up. The only closest thing to inferring this as well is the text bar saying "all black and bare wires get soldered here" (the volume pot)

For clarity the diagram should show a ground to the claw, everything else is there. Why not complete the picture SD? :D

Trending Topics