URGH! Need pickup wiring help please...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by SgtThump, Dec 1, 2005.

1. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I've put pickups in guitars a million times, but I have a problem now and I'm not sure what's going on. I just received a new DiMarzio Super Distortion S pickup. This is a single coil sized rail type humbucker.

So anyway, I installed it tonight and it's weak and thin sounding. When I switch to the single coils, they have MUCH more power and low end, so you know something's wrong. I don't notice the pickup getting weak when used in conjunction with another pickup, so it doesn't appear to be a phase issue between my G&L single coils and the DiMarzio. Can the two coils in the DiMarzio be out of phase with each other and if so, how in the heck do I fix that?

Swapping the hot and ground wires only works if it's out of phase with another pickup, right? I actually tried this already and didn't notice a difference. I also cut the wires and started all over again and it's still weak and thin.

Any ideas are greatly appreciate.

Chris

2. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Also, I do have it wired up properly. I mean, the black and white wires are soldered together and isolated, the red goes to the 5-way toggle and the green and bare both go to the back of the volume pot for ground.

3. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

You've got the wiring right but I guess there is a chance that your particular unit was wired wrong at the factory and the coils are out of phase with each other. Simply swap the red and black wires, i.e. solder red and white together and connect the black to the switch.

Of course by doing this you may reverse the phase of the whole pickup with respect to the other ones. If that happens, then leave red and white together and swap green and black (leave the bare connected to ground).

If none of this works, I'm pretty sure the pu is faulty. Send it back for a replacement.

4. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks Clorenzo! You helped me last time too... :)

That's the answer I was looking for... I'll try your suggestions tonight when I get home from work. Thanks again! I'll report back.

Chris

5. fin

fin Guest

Did you also re-wire the jack?