Urinal encounters with famous people

Stomp

Sort of related, here's my Led Zeppeloo:

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page were kind enough to sign it for me when I was renovating the bathroom at home many years ago -

....or should that be many moons ago?

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Pat Martino. Stood right next to him and chatted while we were both relieving ourselves at a bar in NY.
Super cool guy.

Kenzo McGurk

I have an "outside the bathroom" encounter with someone famous in the late 1980's.

I was at 69th Street Terminal in Upper Darby, Pa. and was walking as fast as I could to take a leak before boarding my transfer trolley.

I'm the short, stocky type and as I'm at the entrance of this horrible smelling men's room, I literally walked right into someone coming out. I said "excuse me" while simultaneously looking up at who I bumped into. A few, awkward seconds pass and I said "Damn man, I forgot your name" . I remember tapping my index finger in the air as I said it.

I swore to myself I knew this guy, but I couldn't remember where from or what the hell his name was.

He smiled and stuck out his hand. Laughingly he said "Randall Tex Cobb".

As soon as he said it, I knew it was him. I'm a boxing fan and he's fairly unique looking. It just happened too fast and I erroneously thought it was someone from my past that I forgot.

I then said what was perhaps the dumbest thing ever in my attempt to compliment him in a hurry.

"Man, I've seen your fights!!! I've never seen ANYONE take ass whoopings like you and you won't go down".

It was meant as a compliment, but it came all out all &^%$#@ up.

The look he gave me said it all. He did not take it as a compliment and instead of being pissed, he appeared crestfallen when he walked away.

squeally dan

In 1992 I was in New Orleans for the Sugar bowl. It was Miami vs Alabama. I was a student at the University of Alabama. At halftime I went to the restroom and I recognized the guy in the stall next to me as the star of a Two Moon Junction which was a college era favorite.

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
Back in the '90s I was recording at Sound City in Van Nuys and we happened to be there the same week that Johnny Cash was recording with Rick Rubin. We had encounters and brief conversations with Tom Petty and Mike Campbell and a bunch of other folks there recording with Johnny, but hadn't seen Mr. Cash himself...until I needed to hit the bathroom.
I left our control room and headed for the bathroom door, only to see in my peripheral vision an older guy all dressed in black approaching me and headed for the same door!
I mean, I'm there first and I really gotta go, so I grab the handle, say "excuse me" with a smile and enter the bathroom totally realizing that the legendary freaking Johnny Cash is just outside!

I'd love to shake the guy's hand, but know that exiting the bathroom and going for his hand is not good etiquette at all, no matter how well I've washed and dried my own.
So, I finish up my business, soap up, dry off and open the door to see him standing there, waiting for his turn.
All I could think to say is "There you go, Mr. Cash" and his reply was a simple "Thank you" and a smile.

The closest I got to him after that was sitting outside their control room door while he and Rick were listening to a playback of "Rusty Cage". Unreal.

RhinestoneStrat

Without social distancing I took a pee right next to Ludacris and talked his ear off...but I knew right after dat he don't wanna talk to me like that!:huh

drc

Joe Rogan. I was working a UFC event and we both happened to take a p!ss at the same time. He seemed like a nice enough guy and what am I gonna say, "Love the podcast?" I let him be.

tkozal

at the urinal at the old Pittsburgh airport, Sen. John Glenn

at the Savoy urinal in London, John Taylor of Duran Duran

CJReaper

Back in the '90s I was recording at Sound City in Van Nuys and we happened to be there the same week that Johnny Cash was recording with Rick Rubin. We had encounters and brief conversations with Tom Petty and Mike Campbell and a bunch of other folks there recording with Johnny, but hadn't seen Mr. Cash himself...until I needed to hit the bathroom.
I left our control room and headed for the bathroom door, only to see in my peripheral vision an older guy all dressed in black approaching me and headed for the same door!
I mean, I'm there first and I really gotta go, so I grab the handle, say "excuse me" with a smile and enter the bathroom totally realizing that the legendary freaking Johnny Cash is just outside!

I'd love to shake the guy's hand, but know that exiting the bathroom and going for his hand is not good etiquette at all, no matter how well I've washed and dried my own.
So, I finish up my business, soap up, dry off and open the door to see him standing there, waiting for his turn.
All I could think to say is "There you go, Mr. Cash" and his reply was a simple "Thank you" and a smile.

The closest I got to him after that was sitting outside their control room door while he and Rick were listening to a playback of "Rusty Cage". Unreal.
I was there at Sound City working on that session as a runner, in fact that was the first session I worked on. If you remember a long haired metal head taking food orders and making coffee that was me. ;)

DewieCox

Silver Supporting Member
Joe Buck at a Pearl Jam show. Thought about waiting around and shaking his hand but some other dude caught him as he was zipping up and went for an awckward high five and he skated off pretty fast after that. Recognized him more by his voice than his off air look.

telest

Rick Estrin from Little Charley & the Nightcats. 30 seconds of awkward conversation. :rolleyes:

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
I was there at Sound City working on that session as a runner, in fact that was the first session I worked on. If you remember a long haired metal head taking food orders and making coffee that was me. ;)
Dude...I was there recording with my friend David Culiner and I think Jeff Sheehan was working with us, too. We had several sessions at Sound City over the years. I'm pretty sure Shivaun O'Brian was running things back then and Sound City was almost a magical place to be.

CJReaper

Dude...I was there recording with my friend David Culiner and I think Jeff Sheehan was working with us, too. We had several sessions at Sound City over the years. I'm pretty sure Shivaun O'Brian was running things back then and Sound City was almost a magical place to be.
Oh man I remember Jeff, he gave me a killer Iron Maiden Live After Death poster while I was there. Ah Shivaun, LOL! She was "interesting" to work for, LOL! Lots of jokes played on her via Joe Barresi and Gggggarth Richardson, good times!

RickV

Dallas guitar show around ‘98-‘99 when it was still at Fair Park. I was exiting one of the large outdoor restrooms. I almost collide with someone coming in, as I round a corner. I’m 6’5 and the other person is about 5’ nothin’. All is see is the top of his head, until he looks up. I step back and exchange pleasantries with Rick Derringer. He was the headliner on the main stage that evening and the main reason I went.

My father’s brush with fame was (as he told it) “rubbing elbows with Frank Sinatra“ while taking a leak. This was sometime in the mid-40’s, somewhere in LA. May have been at the horse races.

guitarsenal

Platinum Supporting Member
Oscar Peterson in Blues Alley bathroom in Washington DC.

Clive Davis at LaGuardia airport.

Mngwa

I'm pretty sure that Drew Barrymore peed in my town; so, somewhere down the pipeline a couple of our pee molecules probably mingled and swirled. Not exactly a golden shower, but that's the best story I've got, here.

This game is NOT as good as "Six Degrees from Kevin Bacon".

[Jay Leno]

jalmer

Out in the small back yard of Kingston Mines a buddy and I were hanging out during Junior Well's break. Lee Oskar had just sat in. They were out back too comparing harps at a table next to us. Junior Wells sidled up to the fence and took care of business and sat back down with Lee. He had the right idea, the small club was packed. That's all I got.

Trending Topics