US Music is shutting down Parker USA.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PiRaSSiC, Jan 30, 2016.

1. PiRaSSiC

PiRaSSiC Member

Looks like US Music is "looking for a new partner to produce US made Parker Guitars".
    They have already shut down the plant, refusing new orders.

The custom shop is closed.
    No replacement parts are being provided, even for the "refined" flys.

Only import modes are available right now .. and no Parker guitar was showcased at NAMM.

I love US made Parkers, I have two. They are amazing, amazing instruments.

There is very little space for innovation in the guitar business. Sad, but true.

bluegrif and rsm like this.
  2. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

Lame. Never played one but love the aesthetics of them and hope to give one a go some day. Hopefully someone steps in.

3. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

It's not good news, but I'm also not surprised. They seemed to be very much an acquired taste and represented a really narrow slice of the market. I've never even had the opportunity to experience one. During their entire existence from start to finish, I've never spotted a Parker in a store and never knew anyone who ever bought one.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

worked on my share of these; my first exposure to stainless frets (flawless) and a weirdly light, fragile feel, like you were holding a little surfboard or something.

beautiful design except for the way the top horn "elbow" jabbed right into your sternum :(

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Too expansive and/or no options regarding neck size put me off both the US and import versions.
    The real problem for any new or innovative maker is that existing designs are 'good enough.'
    Very few will produce new sounds (still sounds like a guitar, it has all been done, and we WANT that) or improve one's playing, musical capability or sex appeal..not that a Fly is repulsive.
    Cool, but the answer to questions that few ask, rightly or not.

6. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Silver Supporting Member

From a certain perspective I kind of see the EBMM Majesty as the successor to the Fly. Lightweight, uber fret access, curvy, stainless frets, great magnetic and piezo sounds. Granted no composite materials. But having owned several Parkers before, the Majesty was not unfamiliar the first time I tried one out. And I didn't miss having my sternum punctured by that upper horn.

7. King Loudness

King Loudness Member

Good riddance. I had nothing but problems with my USA made Flys, and I will never buy another. It's a shame because they are -in theory- a great guitar, but if they're as poorly made as mine were, it's not worth the $3,000ish price tag. I'll never buy one again.

W.

8. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Does this affect the imports?

A lot of the imports are very nice guitars as well.

9. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

I recall going to the giant Mars Music in Atlanta with my buddy when we were 15 to play guitars... He pulled a Parker off the wall, strummed a few chords, grabbed the trem and pushed it down and part of the bridge popped out like it wasn't fastened properly???? To his credit he put it back on the wall, bridge partially dangling out, and picked up a tele and started all over again as if it never happened!:red

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

now that's an outlier experience! what problems did you have with them?

the only failure i ever ran into was the rare occasion of a fret popping off the board, a nightmare because the frets were just stuck onto a flat board with glue, no tang slots or anything.
    the imports are just regular korean guitars shaped kinda like parkers, they could have been LTDs or shecters or whatever else; good for the money, but essentially "normal" guitars with wood bodies and necks, and regular soft brass-alloy frets.

11. JPIndustrie

JPIndustrie Member

Yea this must've been with the newer runs because the Flys I've encountered had fit and finishes from a another planet, they were so good. These were 80s 90s USA flys though

jads57 and JCM 800 like this.
  12. loudboy

loudboy Member

The super wide-thin neck with sharp edges made them non-starters for me.

Elantric and meatier shower like this.
  13. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Love em!! I have 2 USA models, a Fly and a Nitefly(bolt on). Got rid of my strat and Paul, just didn't play em anymore.

14. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

Surprising news. You would think the world would beat a path to their door to buy those whacked-out looking guitars with built-in carry handles (upper horn).

15. PiRaSSiC

PiRaSSiC Member

In my opinion, US Music just ruined the brand.
    They did not pursue the original design (which I find to be the only real successful innovation to the guitar itself), they didn't improve on what Ken Parker did after he sold the company, they just cut costs with lackluster quality control and introduced a whole lot of new models with impossible to remember names, focusing on creating a series of lookalikes in a different (lower) league than the originals.

My two 97 Parkers are superb, ultra stable, fantastic playing instruments.

And by the way the upper horn never stabbed my chest :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  16. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Owned a few and loved them

17. stephax

stephax Member

^^^^^^
    I'm in the same camp !

18. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I'm surprised it took this long.

19. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

^^^this!

I find them hideous.

CC Overdrive likes this.
  20. RJLII

RJLII Member

Me too. I thought the design was cool and loved the light weight, but the neck was all kinds of wrong for me.

Elantric likes this.