US122...what now?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jeffhef, Jul 7, 2005.

1. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I've tried to get started home recording in the past but not been able to figure it out. I've just picked up Tascam US122 at a pretty good price and want to do a little experimenting. Here are my questions...

What software should I use? The software that came with the Tascam seems kinda limited. I was looking at Acid.

What's a good step-by-step tutorial for getting started?

I also have a Behringer V-amp 2. Can I use this to go into the Tascam?

I'm actually pretty good with computers but this seems to elude me. Any advice would be appreciated.

jeffhef

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Doesn't the us122 come bundled with Cubase? I wouldn't call that limited.

Acid is more of a sampler / sequencer, at least that's how I've used it. I wouldn't want to do any tracking with it.

3. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

The US122 comes with Cubase and Gigastudio. i don't believe either are full versions. However, Cubase looks nice. That is when I can see it. About 50% of the time I fire it up it reboots my machine.

I've been playing with Audacity since last night. Seems pretty simple and I've figured out how to run my V-amp into it. Pretty cool!! But now Audacity seems limited. I'm probably just doing something wrong. Seems like I can only record for about a minute and a half. I like how simple it seems to use. I'd like to add in some drum loops. Can you do this with Audacity?

I know I haven't explored it nearly as much as I should. I've actually been using Audacity to load up songs for practice. I use it to loop a section of a song I'm trying to play and practice it with the V-amp.

Anyway...

I've successfully recorded some stuff just playing around. How do I add rhythm/drums and where can I get loops?

I feel so pedestrian. You'd never know I've worked for a major software company for the last 13 years.

jeffhef

4. TAVD

I just downloaded Kristal. It's free multi-track software that looks pretty nice, although I haven't really gotten into it yet.

I've been using different versions of Audacity for the past year and have never had any problems.

That version of Cubase (LE / SE) should be a full version, albeit a lighter version limited to 48 tracks and missing some features.

Problems with both Audacity and Cubase suggests to me that your computer has some issues that need to be addressed, don't spend any money on software until you get your pc healthy.

Cubase by itself, won't reboot the machine.

Is this a windows machine? If so, open the start up and recovery window and make sure the reboot on system failure box is unchecked. Make sure the error log box is checked, so if it continues to happen, you can maybe isolate the issue. Anyway, this should probably be a whole new thread.

5. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Actually I've already isolated the issue. Well kinda. It looks like a driver issue. I think the default Cubase values may be causing a driver lock on the US122 driver. I was having the same problem with Gigastudio. It's been alleviated some by going to an earlier driver.

Yes. The system XP Pro and it's a Dell Hyperthreaded box.

The reason I think settings in Cubase and Gigastudio are causing a driver conflict is that I can bring up other recording software - generic like Audacity - and not have a problem. In fact the US122 seems to be working like a charm.

I also have an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card. The Cubase software may be seeing this as a recording device as well. I'll look into it more.

Am I doing something wrong with Audacity? Is there a way to make recordings of longer duration?

Thanks,

jeffhef

6. TAVD

1:30 minute limits with Audacity is strange. Some daws will have beginning and ending locate points that will stop the recording at a set point, Cubase is one. Audacity has no such locate points as far as I know.

If you're not using the asio driver for the us122, I'd try that first.

7. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Yeah. i haven't disabled the onboard. I'll give that a shot.

Also, I'm sure this is just me on the Audacity time limit thing. I'll play with it again tonight. Having fun so far.

jeffhef

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

try Goldwave...

no limits here. but if there are, i'd check in the preferences and see if there is a way to make the recording unlimited. i had to change the setting in goldwave, and off i went.

9. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Ok...I have things working pretty well now. I'm using several pieces of software trying to decide which I like best...some shareware/freeware and some purchased.

I work for a large software company and have been in the computer industry in technical roles for 17+ years. I'm surprised that recording software isn't more intuitive. I'm getting the hang of it though.

Now...I'd like to add some rhythm/drum tracks or loops. Haven't touched this yet. Any suggestions? Some of the software I'm using...

Audacity
    Cubase
    Sonic Foundry

I have Acid but haven't really messed with it much. To start I'd just like to lay down a few little 4/4 beat things and learn the software a little better.

Wish I hadn't sold that drum machine.

jeffhef