usa custom build problem

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by mattmccloskey, May 27, 2005.

1. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

Hey guys, have any of you put together usa custom strats or teles?
    I got my parts yesterday, finished by roxy. The neck to body fit is disapointing, the neck would not get in,just too tight. I have had this issue before with warmoth stuff, so I was bummed. However, usually a light sanding of the neck finish at the base of it where meets the pocket is usually sufficient to correct it.
    So, after a careful sanding off of the finish in that area, I carefully press it in, and before halfway down the finish on the body at the sides of the pocket buckles up like peanut brittle and flakes off in 2 spots.:(
    Man I am bummed. I was careful to insert the neck correctly (I have done this dozens of times) but the paint came off easy.
    Have any of you encountered this problem? I always heard such great stuff about these guys and perfectly fitted parts, but mine has been a real letdown.
    I do have messages in to both roxy and usa custom, so I hope they can help me out, I just wanted to know if I am just unlucky or is this not uncommon.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i ordered a 5 string jazz bass body, and they accidently routed the pickups for a 4 string bass. :(

but Tommy was very cordial in helping me out. give him a call, i'm sure they'll help you, too.

3. CS'56

CS'56 Member

Yes, Tommy has incredible customer service. Please call them.
    They will help.

4. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

I have been in touch with Ty from roxy and he is helping me out, it might be a finish related issue in terms of the paint coming off. He did say that tommy makes his neck pockets real tight, which when combined with any gloss finish can be problematic. we'll see how it works out.

5. js54

js54 Member

All the stuff I ordered from Tommy was always a dead perfect fit. Tommy once told me they leave a very small amount of room for finish. I only used a thin nitro finish and still had to be very careful not to chip the sides, but I did get some chipping once.

I believe those guys do a lot of business together - I'm sure Roxy or Tommy will fix you up - Tommy is an awesome guy and always went out of his way to insure that I was happy - I have only heard praise for USACG.

Keep us posted.

6. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

I'd stay away from Roxy these days...

They're too busy doing production work & aren't doing the quality they used to...

I got a USACG body last week that I wanted finished like a PRS tortoise-shell finish (I sent them the pic, it's a three-tone brown die job) and it's total crap! :mad:

First off, it's freakin' Orange, secondly it's not a die job as I asked, it's a tran, thirdly they used shader coats (what for God only knows).

I've talked to USACG (the 5A top I ordered is wrong as well, but we sorted that out with a refund), but Roxy won't even return emails or phone calls.

You're WAY ahead of the game if you just finish USACG stuff yourself, besides you'll get it a 30-60 days faster ;)

7. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

My teles from USACG have very tight fits. I was worried the first time, but again...a bit of sanding on the neck side took care of it. I'd rather have it tight than the gaps I've seen on some production models. But, I can see where it would be a bit disconcerting if the finish chipped off. Glad to hear they will help you out with the problem. USACG is aces in my book.

8. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

You really need to have the relationship of the neck pocket and neck width down in relation to your finish thickness. I cannot see how they can get it perfect every time considering someone else is doing the finish work.

Also the cnc router is not nessisarily the most accurate thing for getting the neck and body fit perfectly. If you are not up on your cutter diameter you can be off a few thousandths on both parts and viola the neck doesn't fit. Thats why it's important to mate the body and neck prior to finishing and to know EXACTLY how thick your finish is going to be and what it will be doing around the neck pocket.