Usa Custom Guitars Rant

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lumco, Feb 22, 2019.

1. lumco

lumco Most of the roads I travel are muddy Gold Supporting Member

Not sure if correct place but once again USA GUITARS comes up small. ordered a Tele style body off of the web store, promised in stock, wrong... promised 3 day delivery, wrong....and 10 days later I get my package and not even what I ordered..I guess every company makes mistakes but USA GUITARS keeps them coming for some reason.. I will take my little business elsewhere. I have ordered several necks, several bodies and always something goes awry..
    Customer service said ship back and they will refund my charges.. oh yay as I can't wait to chase 8000 pieces of pink packing foam around my house and repackage...

2. shred4Him

shred4Him Member

If I am not mistaken, USACG was sold and is under new ownership. The old crew from their shop is now Sound Guitar Works, I believe. You might want to check in on them.

3. EdFarmer

EdFarmer Silver Supporting Member

Just a question . . . It sounds like you were unhappy with the customer service from USA GUITARS before this purchase.

Why did you purchase from them yet again?

willyboy and lumco like this.
  4. romo

romo Supporting Member

They used to be the premier company for necks and bodies but with new ownership their service really declined.

Devin and sedawkgrep like this.
  5. lumco

lumco Most of the roads I travel are muddy Gold Supporting Member

I thought I would give them another chance, I thought wrong.

6. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Yea, Keith at USA Custom said they won't build me a neck to the specs that they've been making them for me for the last couple of years. He said those are options they don't offer. Really? I've got about 5 necks that say they do.

I'll check out Sound Guitar Works. It looks like they were Best Guitar Parts until 2018, when they changed the name to Sound Guitar Works. If Tommy and Dan are there, then it should be comparable to the quality I was used to.

lumco likes this.
  7. EdFarmer

EdFarmer Silver Supporting Member

"Once bitten, twice shy . . . "
    - Ian Hunter

lumco likes this.
  8. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

While Tommy is not at present associated with any after market parts manufacturer, Dan IS, and may be found on the other end of the phone at Sound Guitar works... Their quality is superb and are willing to accommodate pretty much any unique request one chooses to make.

I've been using them since last March when Tommy was shown the door by the new owner..

rk

Ricardo Montiblan, Devin and lumco like this.
  9. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Thanks for the reminder, Sound Guitar and Warmoth are on my to call list, USCG, nope since the breakup...

I got a really spec'ed out Uber Tele from Tonebomb in Canada; awesome work and it's being finished as we speak.

Good luck with your project.

10. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

Sad to hear USAGC has gone downhill. Tommy was great to deal with and I loved the necks I bought through him. It also seems really inconvenient that USAGC is not offering finishing anymore.

11. fusgtr

fusgtr Member

Several years ago i ordered a body and a neck from USAGC and 2 years later another neck.
    My only "complain" was that the necks (both times) were much wider of the order but it didn't hurt because at the end they were perfect for my huge hands. :D

Quality was superb and i'm still using in daily basis that guitar (a super strat). At that time they would offer much more options than Warmoth and it was the main reason i choosed them.

IIRC i've exchanged a decent amount of emails with Tommy and he was always friendly. Ok, sometimes he would response after 2 or 3 emails but it's ok. :)

I'm sorry to hear that the company is under new boss and i hope that they will keep the high standards.

12. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

It’s awesome to hear that Dan is at Sound Guitar Works. He was the guy that made things happen for me at USA. I will give him a call. I have a Tele build that needs a neck that USA won’t make for me anymore. :jo