USA Fender Amps - Princeton Reverb 12 Watt

Hey there folks,

I see they now have a USA Fender Princeton Reverb 12 watt amp. How does this compare to the USA 64' Fender DRRI? I'm looking for a good pedal platform with onboard spring reverb. I'm also considering a Mesa Fillmore 25 head.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Hey there folks,

I see they now have a USA Fender Princeton Reverb 12 watt amp. How does this compare to the USA 64' Fender DRRI? I'm looking for a good pedal platform with onboard spring reverb. I'm also considering a Mesa Fillmore 25 head.
Nope... sort of a different animal really... go play one....then you will know if it’s for you...

mlj_gear

FWIW, the ('65) DRRI and ('65) PRRI are made in the USA... it's not just the handwired ones. The '68 Customs are made in Mexico. Also, Fender doesn't call the '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb a DRRI.

Anyway, many people find Princeton Reverbs to be great pedal platforms, but I prefer Deluxe Reverbs both with and without pedals. They are punchier and fuller sounding. Some people find Princeton Reverbs "sweeter."

One potentially nice thing about the PR for pedal usage, though, is that it lacks the DR's bright cap, which some people don't like when using OD pedals at lower volume settings.

FWIW, the ('65) DRRI and ('65) PRRI are made in the USA... it's not just the handwired ones. The '68 Customs are made in Mexico. Also, Fender doesn't call the '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb a DRRI.

Anyway, many people find Princeton Reverbs to be great pedal platforms, but I prefer Deluxe Reverbs both with and without pedals. They are punchier and fuller sounding. Some people find Princeton Reverbs "sweeter."

One potentially nice thing about the PR for pedal usage, though, is that it lacks the DR's bright cap, which some people don't like when using OD pedals at lower volume settings.
The regular 65' Deluxe Reverb is made in the USA? Has it always been?

mlj_gear

The regular 65' Deluxe Reverb is made in the USA? Has it always been?
Yes.

FWIW, they used to say "Made in U.S.A." explicitly on the rear faceplate, but that changed a few years ago, presumably for legal reasons, and now they say "A Product of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation, Corona, CA, USA." That's what the handwired ones say, too. The '68 Customs, which are made in Mexico, say "A Product of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation, Corona, CA, USA, Made in Mexico." As far as I know, the language change didn't reflect a change in where the amps were actually assembled.

Last edited:

johnsav

I think the DR's larger speaker and higher headroom make for a more versatile amp. Mine is about eight years old, made in USA, and sounds great with pedals and without.
I've gigged this amp with guitar plugged straight in, no pedals (country band), loud 'n' proud, then brought it home to a quieter environment and blasted fuzz at speaking volume. My old Princeton was very nice but was 'smaller' in every way.

JasonElGato

I owned a PRRI for 5 years. Lovely amp, just a bit too small to be heard over a loud rock drummer. That was the only reason I traded up to a SuperSonic 22. I miss it though, and will rebuy one again some day. It is an amazing amp

Trending Topics