USA Washburn LT-82 Laredo "Tele".

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EdMan57, Feb 3, 2008.

1. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Anyone here have [or have owned/played] an early/mid '90's American built Washburn Laredo "Tele".I believe that the Laredo with the swamp ash body is the LT-82,while the alder bodied guitar were labeled as the LT-92.Anyways,I just picked up a clean '94 LT-82 with a Duncan Broadcaster pickup at the bridge position and a Duncan Vintage Tele at the neck.The tones and playibilty are exceptional,and at $400.00 used,a superb value.Mine has the maple board,Wilkenson bridge,tortioseshell guard and Washburn labeled Gotoh tuners.Btw,I like the feel of the Laredo neck better than any of the five previous "real" Fender Tele's that I used to own.

Ed

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I worked at Washburn back then and believe Grover designed the neck. If I remember, it's a fatty.

However, back then people weren't into fat necks like they are today and the guitar didn't fare too well.

3. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Funny that you say such,as I was thinking that the neck feels and played a lot like my Grover Jackson designed '94 Washburn MG-120.The LT-82's neck is chunkier and has a slight soft "C" curve to the neck's back,though still nothing like the baseball bat like neck on my Fender Jerry Donahue Telecaster.

Ed

4. XKnight

XKnight Member

The USA Custom Shop Washburns are all great guitars and highly underrated which makes them a great bargain in the used market. I've owned three USA Washburns and all were exceptional, especially for the price paid.

5. HHB

HHB Member

I had one and sold it, stupid stupid move, congrats, those guitars are awesome

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

The neck may not be as fat as I recall but back then we were still coming out of the 80's where skinny shreader necks were all people wanted and it was definitely fatter than those.

I'm sure it isn't bad by today's standards.

7. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Great guitar - I worked for a Washburn dealer during that time period - the Grover-designed stuff was all good.

8. Ascension

Ascension Member

I "only" own 8 of the Grover era Washburn USA's. 5 MG's a proto for the MG 122 a Silverado and a later WM-4 . I have seen/played a few of those and the Larados are NICE!
    Now ya gotta post some photos of that bad boy SOMEWHERE BRO cauze I wana get a look at her!

9. bek

bek Member

I have one, too. Gorgeous grain with a nearly-invisible join and really nice satin finish, wonderful neck, solid hardware (that SD set is stock on those). Nice plus (st least on mine): under the pickguard you'll see that Washburn routed for a center pickup. You'll also see they carried the vintage-recreation deal through to include not shielding the cavities. Works anyway, and flawlessly. Nice case, too. Like you said, a lot nicer than a lot of more expensive instruments. I don't like the headstock, but that's a small quibble for a guitar that good.

10. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Isn't your Washburn harem in need of a Laredo? :)

As for pics,I first have to upgrade my ancient computer and get a good digital camera before such happens.In the meantime,I'll just enjoy looking at your USA Washburn collection.

:drool

Ed