• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

USB 2.0 (fast enough for external hard drive)

theHoss

Howdy,

I have a mac and will be recording with Garageband and a Firepod. My question is this.

If my firepod is using my Firewire port, will my USB 2.0 port connecting to an external hard drive be fast enough to. I don't have 2 firewire ports so I hope so. Is there a way to add additional firewire ports to a MacBook Pro?

Thanks!

A440

Silver Supporting Member
doesn't the firepod have it's own firewire jack to hook up an external drive? (my firebox does)

firewire would be faster than USB 2.0

theHoss

How would that work? I am using GarageBand, so I would I indicate that I should be writing off to an External Hard Drive attached to the FireStuido? Sorry if that is an idiot question.

TAVD

Guitar Player
Platinum Supporting Member
doesn't the firepod have it's own firewire jack to hook up an external drive? (my firebox does)

firewire would be faster than USB 2.0
I'm not so sure about that. It would require some testing but generally, putting the high bandwidth devices on separate busses will give better performance.

NotWesYet

Silver Supporting Member
Open your Garageband file and do a "save as" and select the external harddrive and save the copy there. If I am correct, it will save to that hard drive as you are recording.

eru

All firewire devices except a few hard drives have extra ports for daisy chaining devices.

In general, audio interfaces should be first in the chain and hard drives should be last. But, I've done that and it works just fine with pro tools, ableton, and logic...haven't tried it with garage band but I don't see why it won't work.

bdegrande

What eru said. The vast majority of FireWiire hard drives will have at least one more FireWire port for another devjce. You could also use a FireWire hub, but in most cases, it won't be necessary.

Opie Taylor

in the past i have recorded audio to an external usb 2.0 drive. It didn't skip a beat. I was using crappy converters too (delta 1010). This is on a PC using cubase.

Trending Topics