USB alternative to Maudio Firewire 410

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Tubes and Strings, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

Anyone got a recommendation for a USB driven equivalent? Something with great sound quality.

Assume Windows Vista / XP as the platform.

Suggestions?

2. SatelliteNine

SatelliteNine Member

The M-Audio Fast-Track Pro is USB, pretty much the same configuration, just fewer outputs. 2 phantom powered XLRs and you can pick them up pretty cheap.

3. Tubes and Strings

4. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Not to hijack, but here's a tangent question...

M-Audio claims that the Fast-Track [regular or pro] will work on a USB 1

My old computer has USB 1, so I'm thinking this is a fit, but I still have a hard time thinking that USB 1 is fast enough, M-Audio's specs notwithstanding.

Has anyone actually used an M-Audio Fast-Track with an older USB 1 port? Does it work? Issues?

Anyone?

5. SatelliteNine

SatelliteNine Member

Works fine with USB 1, i used the original fast-track on an old beater machine I set up for a friend. Re: Fast Track Pro quality - it's about the same as the 410. If you want something higher quality, but still USB, MOTU makes a USB version of the 828mkII.

6. Tubes and Strings

Anyone using the fast track pro with Windows Vista? Good experience? My Firewire 410 works, but sometimes stops working and will not work again until I reboot.

Overall I like Vista... not really wanting to move back to XP... So, I'm pretty motivated to find something that works well with it.

7. Tubes and Strings

bump in hopes for answer to my last question... (emote: fears silence is the answer...) :)