USB audio, new challenge.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Otto Tune, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

Time to call on the experts.

I just bought a new set of speakers to use with my computer. I exceeded my budget, but they're really nice.
    Audio Engine A5+.
    I also got the DAC, a digital converter that takes a USB connection from the computer instead of the usual headphone mini plug.
    The path is USB > DAC > speaker inputs. I went into preferences, and selected "USB Audio Engine D-1" as the sound source. No problem.

I noticed that I was getting some "clicks" at random that sound like digital artifacts. I thought maybe I had a bad CD transfer. Other music seemed fine, so I know it's not the speakers or DAC.

Then I realized I was also using the USB keyboard and had a browser open also. Doing two things at once.

In your opinion, was I hearing data from the keyboard or browser getting into the other USB ports?
    What's the solution? It's not disastrous, but annoying.
    You wouldn't want to record something that way.

2. Badside

Badside Member

I ran 8 tracks of audio through USB while recording to a USB hard drive and using a USB keyboard and mouse, no issue. USB only sends digital data, you can't get extra noise.

You might check if you can increase the buffer size, latency is not an issue of simply listening to music and videos.

3. ejanuska

ejanuska Member

I tend to disagree with this comment about no noise. You can get noise on a digital line, I've heard it. Try a different or shorter USB cable, make sure your cell phone isn't nearby.