USB External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by poloboy286, Aug 14, 2006.

1. poloboy286

poloboy286 Member

If I use an external USB 2 hard drive to record to, Is that going to cause problems? I use Pro Tools 7.0 with a MBox2 on my lap top.

2. valcotone

valcotone Supporting Member

Not sure about your system, but with my WinXP Dell D610 laptop I'm able to sustain 10 tracks of 32-bit audio with my external USB2 300GB drive. I haven't had any issues with drop out or performance. This is with Adobe Audition and the Presonus Firepod.

3. elambo

elambo Member

If you're using a PC, USB2 transfer rates are extremely fast. On a Mac they are still good, but not nearly as quick. Either way USB-2 should be suitable for moderate recordings. For many simultaneous tracks I'd strongly recommend firewire.

4. wolf9309

wolf9309 Member

I record everything at 24-bit on a mac with a USB hard drive and have been able to use 32 tracks simultaneously (haven't tried recording more than 8 at once but that hasn't been a problem) with no problem at all

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I agree that you should use a firewire drive if possible. The problem with USB is that it shares the bandwidth between all the devices on that bus, including your mbox. Although a USB drive will work, you won't get maximum performance. IIRC, there have been issues with certain drives and PT so you might want to ask around for drive recommendations.