USB Interface / Computer / Sonar / help needed

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Deathmagnetic, May 5, 2016.

1. Deathmagnetic

Deathmagnetic Member

Hey guys, I posted a question a lil bit ago regarding what everyone is using for usb - pc interfaces... So sorry for the vagueness so i would like to re-phrase the question

Lil Background new computer HP i5 processor box stock except for 3.0 usb board i just put in.

Have sonar x1 producer from a couple years ago.. and a M-Audio fast track ultra 8r... so on that note i could not find the disc from the m-audio unit and went to their website... no disc available and from what i am seeing on the interwebs this interface isnt supported in windows 10 ( lucky me as usual ) so now im looking at the new m track 8

question 1 is will sonar create separate tracks for all 8 inputs ?
    question 2 rather than invest in the m audo box if i purchased a new usb yamaha mixer will that record to sonar separately ? id lean that way so i could use the mixer out at the gigs as well... specifically, the Yamaha MGP Series MGP16X 16-Channel/4-Bus Mixer

thanks in advance

2. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

1) separate tracks -- yes, you should be able to create separate tracks within Sonar for all 8 inputs. Most (all) DAWs have some setup feature where you "map" the physical inputs and outputs of your interface to internal signals/busses. As you add new tracks, you specify the input source to the track from among the configured internal busses.

2) mixer as interface -- no, the 12X and 16X Yamahas don't support audio I/O through their USB ports, only communication with an iPhone. The 24X and 32X do support using the USB for audio I/O, but only for a stereo pair of channels, either the main L/R outputs or matrix 1 and 2 as a pair. You'd need to look at some kind of digital board (QSC Touchmix, Behringer X-series, PreSonus StudioLive) to get a multi-channel USB interface built-in to the mixer.

335guy likes this.
  3. Deathmagnetic

Deathmagnetic Member

Scott, thanks for the info... for the moment ive decided to build a windows 8.1 machine and see if i can get the old m-audio ultra 8r to work with it.. if i dont have any luck ill be throwing more cash at the problem...

Joe

4. Deathmagnetic

Deathmagnetic Member

Well i spent the time to build a windows 8.1 machine.. load up all the software i.e. a million windows updates. Seemed like the ultra 8r worked for a minute .. then i loaded up m-audio midisport UNO USB to update the firmware on my fractal ax fx... loaded sonar, and i have no midi interface.. tried to re-install the ultra 8r drivers and nothing.... did a lil research on this and seems like m-audio was bought out and the ultra 8r platform was abandoned... I WILL NEVER BUY M-AUDIO AGAIN...

Matter of fact im getting pretty frustrated with EVERYTHING electronic / computer based... fought with updating the firmware on the AX FX ultra as well... tried 3 separate usb / midi interfaces... different cables.. different usb ports... an add on usb controller card.. ( thinking my computer usb was f***ed up ) finally figured out i needed a REAL old copy of ax edit .. shame they don't tell you this on the website... seems like you have to spend hours guessing .. or throw more money at it...

MY VENT...

Joe

5. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

The history of M-Audio
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-Audio
    They are now owned by Avid, who also owns Pro Tools.

Of course you have to throw more money at it.
    Of course there is a steep learning curve.
    That's the nature of using DAW.
    That's why there are so many posts on TGP, the web, YouTube, etc...by people with the same frustrations and solutions. You're not alone, and it's completely survivable but you've got to put in the time and learn to be a software engineer as well. Especially with a Windows PC.

If you want "easy" and "plug and play" experience buy and iPad and use GarageBand.
    If you need more power than an iPad buy a Mac and run GarageBand.
    That's as simple as it gets.

Macs are not perfect but they are made for multimedia production and since Apple writes and/or approves all drivers. Most interfaces work right out of the box unless they are brand new and the manufacturer hasn't updated their drivers, or they are old and no longer supported by the manufacturer.
    There are plenty of stories about old interfaces not working with the latest version of OSX b/c the manufacturer doesn't want to write new drivers to support it.

My point is that a PC running Windows can be a super powerful DAW but they are not configured to be DAW out of the box unless they are custom built and tuned for a/v prodcution. You might have to spend a lot of time getting all the peripherals and their drivers to play along with Windows, and that just the start.

The upside of working on a Windows PC is that once you start learning it gets easier and you can repeat the same steps with future builds.
    The downside is that you spend more time dealing with software, drivers, and other stuff
    than making music.

6. Deathmagnetic

Deathmagnetic Member

Follow up.. M-Audio OUT... FocusRite IN works great... glad i dumped that POS Tested the FocusRite with windows 8 and 10 works perfect ...