Use an A/B switcher with one amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by geetarplayer, Jun 15, 2012.

1. geetarplayer

geetarplayer Member

I have a low-powered amp which I almost always use, but if I'm ever in a situation where we are not miking amps, and I need a lot of volume, I'm thinking I'd use my Fender Twin Reverb - which is ...um... loud.

My lower powered amp is 2-channel, which I take advantage of a lot (using ch 2 for a volume [not gain/dirt] bump for leads). Can I get the same functionality out of my Twin by using an A/B footswitch, and running the "A out" to the Normal twin channel, and the "B out" to the Tremolo twin channel? Then I could bump the volume up a little higher on the Tremolo channel and use that for leads.

This will work, right?

And is there any advantage to going with A/B/Y instead - and sending signal to both Twin inputs at once? Not that I'd need that, but that won't hurt anything, right? It might be nice to have the "Y" option.

Thanks.

2. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

yes it will work, and the ABY would give you some cool options with your tone, so i say go for it!

I know alot of guys who do this exact thing with Vox AC30's, running to the normal and top boost channels and use either one alone or both together, sounds fantastic!
    If/when the day comes that i can afford it, i hope to do this exact thing with a 3rd Power Amps British Dream

3. VONG

VONG Member

I do this with my AC15 sometimes.

I hardly ever use the Y option though. It sounds ok, but not as pristine or chunky as one channel or the other.

4. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I use an ABy with my BF Bassman, I usually just use one or the other, but the y is cool to have.

Just a thought though, I would expect (not from experience) the normal channel has more volume on tap than the trem channel on your Twin?

5. joel98z

joel98z Member

I use and ABY with my TRRI to switch between both chanels.. It works perfectly.

6. thedroid

thedroid Member

I'm pretty sure you run into phase issues if you go "Y' and run both channels at once on a Twin or almost any Fender amp with reverb. The reverb circuit reverses the phase on the second channel. You won't hurt anything, but you might regret paying extra for the "Y" option.

7. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

or pay $5 more for a phase switch on one side

8. BEMUSofNrthAmrca

BEMUSofNrthAmrca Senior Member

I will be doing this with my Marshall Super Bass. I have 2 channels with 4 inputs, so with an ABY i will have lots of tonal options. Can't wait!

I was going to buy a seperate ABY but I then decided to have a Loop-Master built with all the features I need + the ABY.

9. geetarplayer

geetarplayer Member

OK, I just rechecked... the second channel I was talking about is called "Vibrato" not "Tremolo". A misnomer by Fender, IMO.

Anyway, there are 2 Normal inputs, and 2 Vibrato inputs. The first input of each channel is 6dB hotter than the other. So, lots of options there.

About the reverb - reverb is only available on the Vibrato channel.

Thanks for the input on this guys. Some stuff I hadn't thought about.

10. BEMUSofNrthAmrca

BEMUSofNrthAmrca Senior Member

You could avoid phasing issues by buying an ABY with phase inversion. The Lehle does this, but is expensive.

Having the Y option on an AB switch, in my opinion, makes the switch worth buying. I would never only want to be able to select A or B, i need to be able to choose both.

11. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I use a Startouch ABY with my Hayseed 30 and it works great. I prefer dirt pedals with the EF86 and the Top Boost channel for the clean stuff so the ABY makes it a lot more stage friendly for me.

12. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I use the Startouch ABY with my Hayseed too, it's a great way to blend the Top Boost and ef86 "Normal" channel.

13. beexter

beexter Member

Look into a Boss LS-2 - loads of options in an inexpensive pedal....